Delta Typo in Photon Propagator?

• Thread starter Vic Sandler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, the problem is on pages 323 and 324 of the second edition, and the book contains a typo stating \delta = 1 - \alpha^{-1} instead of \delta = 1 - \alpha. This can be seen by referencing eqn (8.40) on page 154 in the second edition of the book "A First Book of Quantum Theory", by Lahiri & Pal. The answer to the question is "Yes".
Vic Sandler
The problem is on pages 323 and 324 of the second edition.

Homework Statement

Given the lagrangian
[tex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}(x)F^{\mu\nu}(x) - \frac{1}{2\alpha}(\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu})^2[/tex]
show that the momentum space photon propoagator is given by
[tex]D_F^{\mu\nu}(k) = \frac{-g^{\mu\nu} + \delta k^{\mu}k^{\nu}/k^2}{k^2 + i\epsilon}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\delta = 1 - \alpha^{-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this problem if I set
[tex]\delta = 1 - \alpha[/tex]
but not with the delta stated in the book.

My question is this:

Should the book say [itex]\delta = 1 - \alpha[/itex] and not [itex]\delta = 1 - \alpha^{-1}[/itex]?

This question and this question only. The meat of the answer will be one word.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the text is a typo. It should say [itex]\delta = 1 - \alpha[/itex]. This can be seen by referencing eqn (8.40) on page 154 in the second edition of the book "A First Book of Quantum Theory", by Lahiri & Pal. Eqn (8.40) is
[tex]D_{\mu\nu}(k) = -\frac{1}{k^2 + i\epsilon}[g_{\mu\nu} - (1 - \xi)\frac{k_{\mu}k_{\nu}}{k^2}][/tex]
and is the photon propagator when the lagrangian is given by eqn (8.11) on page 148 together with eqn (8.26) on page 152 to get
[tex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2\xi}(\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu})^2[/tex]
which is the same as the eqn at the bottom of page 323 in Mandl & Shaw.

Last edited:
I suppose you should give thanks to yourself!

Related to Delta Typo in Photon Propagator?

1. What is the Mandl & Shaw QFT problem 14.1?

The Mandl & Shaw QFT problem 14.1 is a theoretical problem in quantum field theory that involves calculating the scattering cross section for a specific process. It is often used as a practice problem for students studying quantum field theory.

2. What is the significance of QFT problem 14.1?

QFT problem 14.1 is significant because it allows students to apply their knowledge of quantum field theory to a real-world scenario and practice solving complex problems. It also helps to deepen their understanding of the fundamental concepts and equations of quantum field theory.

3. How is QFT problem 14.1 solved?

QFT problem 14.1 is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using mathematical equations to calculate the desired result.

4. What are some challenges of solving QFT problem 14.1?

Some challenges of solving QFT problem 14.1 include the complex mathematical equations involved, as well as the need for a strong understanding of quantum field theory concepts. Additionally, the problem may involve multiple steps and calculations, making it time-consuming and potentially prone to errors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of QFT problem 14.1?

To improve your understanding of QFT problem 14.1, it is important to review and practice the fundamental concepts and equations of quantum field theory. Working through similar practice problems and seeking help from a mentor or tutor can also be beneficial. Additionally, studying the solutions and explanations of the problem can help to deepen your understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.