Demand for Physics or Earth/chem HS

• Thread starter DanCash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discussed two possible paths for becoming a high school science teacher: obtaining a degree in applied physics with teaching requirements or a degree in Earth Space Science teaching with a minor in chemistry teaching. The decision ultimately depends on the individual's interests and the demand for science teachers in their area. It is also important to gain teaching experience to enhance job prospects.
DanCash
Hi all,

I'm currently attending a university and have a great desire to teach HS Science. I'm a year late in making this decision (flirted briefly with engineering) and have two equal-length paths. I could obtain a degree in applied physics while completing all of the teaching requirements or I could obtain one in Earth Space Science teaching with a minor in chemistry teaching. I love all science, although not the life sciences, and was wondering what path would give me the best chance of landing a job.

Thank you,

Dan

Science news on Phys.org
It depends on where you live. In some places, physics teachers are in great demand.

Hi Dan,

It's great to hear that you have a passion for teaching high school science! Both paths you mentioned sound like great options, but it ultimately depends on what specific subjects you would like to teach. If you're interested in teaching a variety of science subjects, then the degree in applied physics with teaching requirements may be the better choice. However, if you have a specific interest in Earth Space Science and chemistry, then the degree in Earth Space Science teaching with a minor in chemistry teaching may be the better fit for you.

In terms of job prospects, it's always a good idea to do some research on the current demand for science teachers in your area. You can also reach out to local schools or school districts to inquire about their hiring preferences and what they look for in science teachers.

Regardless of which path you choose, make sure to gain some teaching experience through internships, volunteer work, or student teaching to make yourself a more competitive candidate. Best of luck in your decision and future career as a high school science teacher!

Related to Demand for Physics or Earth/chem HS

What is the demand for physics or Earth/chem HS?

The demand for physics or Earth/chem HS (high school) can vary depending on location and school district. However, in general, there is a high demand for these subjects because they are considered essential for students who are interested in pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).

What are the benefits of studying physics or Earth/chem HS?

Studying physics or Earth/chem HS can provide students with valuable critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also lays a strong foundation for further education and careers in STEM fields. Moreover, understanding the physical world around us can help individuals make informed decisions and contribute to society.

What are the prerequisites for taking physics or Earth/chem HS?

The prerequisites for taking physics or Earth/chem HS can vary depending on the school or district. However, most schools require students to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and geometry. Some schools may also require students to have taken a general science course before enrolling in more specific subjects like physics or Earth/chem.

Are there any career opportunities for those who study physics or Earth/chem HS?

Yes, there are many career opportunities for individuals who study physics or Earth/chem HS. Some of the most popular career paths include becoming a physicist, geologist, chemist, environmental scientist, engineer, or science teacher. These fields offer a wide range of job opportunities with competitive salaries and opportunities for growth.

How can I prepare for studying physics or Earth/chem HS?

To prepare for studying physics or Earth/chem HS, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, as these subjects heavily rely on mathematical concepts. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with basic scientific principles and concepts before starting the course. Additionally, developing good study habits and seeking help from teachers or peers when needed can also aid in preparing for these subjects.