Demo Result

erobz
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Rolling without Slipping Demo - Walter Lewin
Relevant Equations
## \sum F = ma ##
##\sum \tau = I \alpha##
So I'm watching this demo posted in another problem by @PeroK by Prof. Walter Lewin

and I can't help but see that in the part where he is demonstrating the independence of acceleration cylinder length that the (presumably) shorter aluminum cylinder is edging out the win...Not intended, but visible. So, think it must be drag? However, I come to the equation:

$$ \frac{3}{2} m \frac{dv}{dt} = mg \sin \theta - \frac{1}{2} C_d \rho_{air} A_{proj.} v^2 $$

Then use the mass of the cylinder to eliminate ##A_{proj.}##:

$$ A_{proj.} = \frac{4}{\rho_{cyl} \pi D} m $$

$$ \frac{3}{2} \cancel{m} \frac{dv}{dt} = \cancel{m} g \sin \theta - \frac{1}{2} C_d \rho_{air} \frac{4}{\rho_{cyl} \pi D} \cancel{m} v^2 $$

$$ \frac{3}{2} \frac{dv}{dt} = g \sin \theta - \frac{1}{2} C_d \rho_{air} \frac{4}{\rho_{cyl} \pi D} v^2 $$

And voila...I'm not left with an EOM dependent on ##L## (the length of the cylinder). Hmmm, so what is the explanation for what I'm seeing...given just this one observation (was it a fluke)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
erobz said:
And voila...I'm not left with an EOM dependent on ##L## (the length of the cylinder). Hmmm, so what is the explanation for what I'm seeing...given just this one observation (was it a fluke)?
Without repeating the experiment several times, we don't know if the result is consistent. It appears to me that the longer cylinder did not roll straight down. It veered toward us a bit. But I don't know if this could account for the difference.

Likes erobz
TSny said:
Without repeating the experiment several times, we don't know if the result is consistent. It appears to me that the longer cylinder did not roll straight down. It veers toward us a bit. But I don't know if this could account for the difference.
I see what you are saying there, the gap from the edge of the board does also appear to be closing. I guess we can't really tell what the other is doing. So we need to get ahold of Prof. Lewin, or his cylinders... :-p

Likes TSny
It's also clipped. Not that it matters per-se, but perhaps the attendee challenged the result too and there was another run that got tossed. At least that's what I think Columbo would say...🧐

7:07 end of the run
1728867766126.png
1728867912823.png

7:15 apparent pick up with demonstration. Notice the sticker that appears.

Likes TSny
Interesting. Good eye!

Likes erobz
Back