Demonstrating the stark effect in the lab

In summary, the Stark Effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of an external electric field. It was first observed by Johannes Stark in 1913. The purpose of demonstrating the Stark Effect in the lab is to provide evidence for the existence of an electric field and to study the behavior of atoms and molecules in the presence of an external field. To demonstrate the Stark Effect in the lab, you will need a vacuum chamber, a source of light, a high voltage power supply, and a gas-filled discharge tube. It is demonstrated by placing the gas-filled discharge tube in the vacuum chamber and applying a high voltage electric field to the tube. Potential sources of error include variations in the electric field strength, impurities in the gas, and
amalmirando
hi,
i'm a physics undergraduate at a local university in sri lanka. currently I'm arrying out a research in observing the stark effect.the problem is that i have not been able to find anything about the experimental setup of demonstrating the stark effect on the internet...can anybody give provide me a link or some information about the experimental setup of the stark effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot for the help...the pdf was very useful

has anybody carried out the stark effect experiment in the lab?

FAQ: Demonstrating the stark effect in the lab

What is the Stark Effect?

The Stark Effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of an external electric field. It was first observed by Johannes Stark in 1913.

What is the purpose of demonstrating the Stark Effect in the lab?

The purpose of demonstrating the Stark Effect in the lab is to provide evidence for the existence of an electric field and to study the behavior of atoms and molecules in the presence of an external field.

What materials are needed to demonstrate the Stark Effect in the lab?

To demonstrate the Stark Effect in the lab, you will need a vacuum chamber, a source of light, a high voltage power supply, and a gas-filled discharge tube.

How is the Stark Effect demonstrated in the lab?

The Stark Effect is demonstrated in the lab by placing the gas-filled discharge tube in the vacuum chamber and applying a high voltage electric field to the tube. The light emitted from the tube will then show the characteristic splitting of spectral lines due to the presence of the electric field.

What are some potential sources of error when demonstrating the Stark Effect in the lab?

Potential sources of error when demonstrating the Stark Effect in the lab include variations in the electric field strength, impurities in the gas, and external interference from other electrical equipment. It is important to carefully calibrate and control all equipment to minimize these potential errors.