Denote the value of the determinant

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement in "A Short Course in General Relativity" that states the cofactor of a matrix is equal to the determinant multiplied by the inverse of the matrix. The conversation also mentions the Laplace expansion and how to relate the inverse matrix to the cofactors. It then asks for clarification on how to derive the second argument using this information and reminds the listener of the importance of understanding this concept in studying general relativity.
rbwang1225
In "A Short Course in General Relativity", I met a statement that says if we denote the value of the determinant [itex]|g_{ab}|[/itex] by ##g##, then the cofactor of ##g_{ab}## in this determinant is ##gg^{ab}## and following this we can deduce ∂##_cg=####(##∂##_cg_{ab})gg^{ab}##.

First, I don't understand what the first argument is.
Second, if the first argument is true, I don't know how to derive the second one.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a cofactor of a matrix is?

Do you know how to relate the inverse matrix to the cofactors?

Given the Laplace expansion:
[tex]
g = \sum_{a, b}{g_{a b} \, \mathrm{Cof}_{a, b}}
[/tex]
what element(s) of this sum contain the term [itex]g_{i j}[/itex] for fixed indices i and j?

Then, what would:
[tex]
\frac{\partial g}{\partial g_{i j}} = ?
[/tex]
be?

Knowing these partial derivatives, w.r.t. every element of the metric tensor, can you write the total differential of the determinant g?

This is a very important step in studying GR and you should remember it.

Related to Denote the value of the determinant

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that is calculated for a square matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix and is used in various mathematical operations, such as solving systems of linear equations.

2. How is the value of a determinant calculated?

The value of a determinant is calculated by following a specific formula. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant is calculated by multiplying the values in the main diagonal and subtracting the product of the values in the other diagonal. For larger matrices, the calculation involves finding the products of various submatrices and adding or subtracting them according to a specific pattern.

3. What does a determinant tell us about a matrix?

A determinant can tell us several things about a matrix. It can determine if the matrix has an inverse, which is necessary for solving systems of equations. It can also tell us the orientation of the matrix (whether it is right-handed or left-handed), and the volume of a parallelepiped formed by the matrix's column vectors.

4. Why is the determinant important in linear algebra?

The determinant is an essential concept in linear algebra because it allows us to determine if a matrix has an inverse, which is necessary for solving systems of linear equations. It also plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of linear transformations and their effects on vector spaces.

5. Can the determinant be negative?

Yes, the determinant can be negative. The value of a determinant is determined by the orientation of the matrix, so if the matrix is left-handed, the determinant will be negative. This has important implications in determining the volume of a parallelepiped formed by the matrix's column vectors, as a negative determinant would indicate an orientation change in the parallelepiped.