Dense orbits of irrational n-tuples in n-Torus

In summary, The person is seeking help in proving a fact about the density of orbits of irrational n-tuples in the n-torus. They are specifically looking for help in proving that the orbit {qa}_{q \in Z} is dense in the n-torus, where qa = (qa_1,...,qa_n) and a=(a_1,...,a_n) with a_i irrational and rationally independent. They have found references to this fact in literature, but are unable to find a solid proof.
claybaby
Hey all, this is my first post! (Although I've found a lot of useful answers here during the past).
I have been trying to prove this fact, which is widely stated in literature and relatively well-known, about density of orbits of irrational n-tuples in the n-torus. My question is this: If
[itex]a=(a_1,...,a_n)[/itex], with a_i irrational, and all rationally independent, show that the orbit {qa}_{q \in Z} is dense in the n-torus. Here qa = (qa_1,...,qa_n).

For some background, if n=1, then it is not hard to show that (qa)mod1 (as q moves through the integers) is dense in [0,1). I can also show a similar result when n is 2, but I want to extend this and it's driving me nuts since it's referenced everywhere but I can't find a solid proof!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is in Thierry Aubin's book A Course in Differential Geometry !

Related to Dense orbits of irrational n-tuples in n-Torus

1. What is a dense orbit of irrational n-tuples in an n-Torus?

A dense orbit is a set of points in an n-Torus that are generated by an irrational n-tuple. These points are infinitely close to each other and cover a large portion of the n-Torus, creating a dense pattern.

2. How are dense orbits of irrational n-tuples relevant in science?

Dense orbits of irrational n-tuples have applications in many fields such as chaos theory, dynamical systems, and number theory. They can also be used to model physical phenomena such as the movement of planets in our solar system.

3. How do you determine the density of a dense orbit of irrational n-tuples?

The density of a dense orbit can be determined by calculating the average distance between points in the orbit. The smaller the average distance, the denser the orbit.

4. Can dense orbits of irrational n-tuples be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, dense orbits of irrational n-tuples can be observed in various natural and man-made systems. For example, the movement of small particles in a fluid can exhibit a dense orbit pattern.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying dense orbits of irrational n-tuples?

Studying dense orbits can help us understand complex systems and predict their behavior. It can also have applications in cryptography, as dense orbits can be used to generate random numbers.