Dense subset and extension of uniformly continuous function

In summary, we want to prove that for a metric space ##(X,d)##, a dense subset ##D \subset X##, and a uniformly continuous function ##f: D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, there exists a unique extension of f to all of X. The extension, denoted as ##f'##, is defined for all points in X, not just in D, and is shown to be well-defined by taking the limit of a sequence in D that converges to a point in X. To prove that ##f'## is uniformly continuous, we must show that for every ##\epsilon > 0##, there exists a ##\delta > 0## such that for any ##x
mahler1
1. Homework Statement .
Let ##(X,d)## be a metric space, ##D \subset X## a dense subset, and ##f: D→ℝ## a uniformly continuous function. Prove that f has a unique extension to all ##X##.

3. The Attempt at a Solution .

I have some ideas but not the complete proof. If ##x \in D##, then I define ##f'(x)=f(x)##, so let ##x \in X \setminus D##. ##D## is a dense subset, so there exists ##(x_n)_{n≥1}## ##\subset D## such that ##x_n→x##. I define ##f'(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} {x_n}##. Observe that this limit makes sense since ##(f(x_n)_n≥1## is a Cauchy sequence (to prove this one has to use the fact that f is uniformly continuous) in ##ℝ##. ##ℝ## is complete, so the sequence is convergent. Then I should check that ##f'## is well defined, in other words, if there are two different sequences ##(x_n)_{n≥1}## and ##(y_n)_{n≥1}##in ##D## converging to a point ##x##, then it must be ##\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} {x_n}##=##\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} {y_n}## (this is easy to prove). Now I want to prove that f' is uniformly continuous, this means that for every ##ε>0## ##\exists δ_ε>0##:
##d(x,y)<δ_ε## implies ##|f'(x)-f'(y)|<ε##. Here I got totally stuck. This is an exercise belonging to the topic of compact metric spaces so I suppose I have to use something about compact spaces, the problem is that ##ℝ## is not compact, so I don't know where should I use some information about compactness.

Physics news on Phys.org
You passed over the key point of existence, which is that for f' to be well-defined, you need
[tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} f(x_n) = \lim_{n\to \infty} f(y_n) [/tex].

And I don't understand what this has to do with compact metric spaces, the uniform continuity of f' will come from f regardless of what kind of space X is.

Likes 1 person
After you have attended to OfficeShredders point you can think about this:

A function can be uniformly continuous on all of R -- consider for example f(x) = x. So you don't need to worry about compactness. But you do need to focus on what uniformly continuous means.

With ordinary continuity people say : for every ##\epsilon ## you can find a ##\delta ## blah, blah. A lot of fuss is made about the fact that the ##\delta## depends on ##\epsilon##. What no one EVER says, is that ##\delta## also depends on x. So if you look at a function like f(x) = 1/x on (0,1), it is continuous there, but ##\delta## gets smaller and smaller as you approach zero -- that is, it depends on x.

Uniform continuity means that the ##\delta## does NOT depend on x. That's it. 1/x will never qualify on (0,1).

Now take your extension and compare it to what you know about the original function.

By the way, I wish you had called the extension something other than ##f' \text{ like } f^+\text{ or} f_{ext}##.

Likes 1 person

Related to Dense subset and extension of uniformly continuous function

What is a dense subset of a uniformly continuous function?

A dense subset of a uniformly continuous function is a set of points that are very close together and form a continuous line. This means that between any two points in the subset, there are infinitely many other points.

What is an extension of a uniformly continuous function?

An extension of a uniformly continuous function is a function that is defined on a larger domain than the original function, but still behaves in the same way. This means that the extended function will have the same continuity and uniformity properties as the original function.

What is the importance of dense subsets in relation to uniformly continuous functions?

Dense subsets are important in relation to uniformly continuous functions because they allow us to extend these functions to a larger domain. This is useful in many applications where we need to work with functions that are defined on a larger set of points.

Can any function be extended to a uniformly continuous function?

No, not all functions can be extended to a uniformly continuous function. The original function must have certain properties, such as continuity and uniformity, in order for it to be extended in a meaningful way. If these properties are not present, then the extension may not accurately represent the original function.

How do dense subsets and extensions of uniformly continuous functions relate to real-world applications?

Dense subsets and extensions of uniformly continuous functions are important in many real-world applications, such as signal processing, image reconstruction, and data analysis. These concepts allow us to work with functions that are defined on a larger set of points, making them more applicable to real-world situations.