Density as a function of depth

In summary: I was thinking. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the density of water at a certain depth in the ocean and the surface density. They use two equations, one relating pressure and depth and another involving the bulk modulus of water. After some calculations, they arrive at an equation for the density at a certain depth, but note that the model may not be accurate for extreme depths.
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

Show that the density of water at a depth z in the ocean is related to the surface density rho_s by
[tex]
\rho(z) \approx \rho_s [1 + (\rho_s g/B)z]
[/tex]
where B is the bulk modulus of water.

Homework Equations

B = -V (dP/dV)
B = rho (dP/d rho)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to get this problem for 4 hours...aaargh.

I started by relating the change in pressure to the change in depth: pressure increases with depth.
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dz} = \rho(z) g
[/tex]

so

[tex]
dP = \rho(z) g \, dz
[/tex]

Then, substituting this expression for dP into the second formula above, I got

[tex]
B = \rho^2 g \frac{dz}{d\rho}
[/tex]

Then I got
[tex]
\frac{d\rho}{dz} = \frac{\rho^2 g}{B}
[/tex]

This is a separable differential equation, but I don't think it's the right one. I tried solving it with the initial condition rho(0) = rho_s and got
[tex]
\rho(z) = \frac{\rho_s}{1 - \frac{\rho_s g}{B}z}
[/tex]

which doesn't make sense because density should not become infinite at a certain depth. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the answer you got, take a Taylor expansion about ## z = 0 ##. As for the infinite density at a certain depth, maybe it would be good to think about the limitations of the model. Also, you might want to calculate what that depth is for water.

Geofleur said:
For the answer you got, take a Taylor expansion about ## z = 0 ##. As for the infinite density at a certain depth, maybe it would be good to think about the limitations of the model. Also, you might want to calculate what that depth is for water.

Hmm...yes, it does look like the second term in the denominator stays small for depths up to 1000 m. At 11000 m (the Marianas trench is about as deep), the denominator is 1 - 0.049, which to me means the model ought not to be used here. Thanks! That was not obvious to me at all.

bigplanet401 said:
Hmm...yes, it does look like the second term in the denominator stays small for depths up to 1000 m. At 11000 m (the Marianas trench is about as deep), the denominator is 1 - 0.049, which to me means the model ought not to be used here. Thanks! That was not obvious to me at all.
Even at that depth, it's not a bad approximation.

Chet

Related to Density as a function of depth

1. What is density as a function of depth?

Density as a function of depth refers to the relationship between the density of a substance and its depth or location within a given system. It describes how the density of a substance changes as it is moved to different depths or positions within a system.

2. Why is density as a function of depth important?

Density as a function of depth is important because it provides valuable information about the structure and composition of a system. It can help scientists understand the distribution of materials and how they interact with each other. It also has practical applications in industries such as oceanography and petroleum exploration.

3. How is density as a function of depth measured?

Density as a function of depth can be measured using various techniques, such as density gradient centrifugation, density column experiments, or acoustic methods. These methods involve measuring the density of a substance at different depths and plotting the data to determine the relationship between density and depth.

4. What factors affect density as a function of depth?

The density of a substance can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, as pressure increases, the density of a substance typically increases as well. Temperature can also have a significant impact on density, as most substances become less dense as they are heated.

5. How does density as a function of depth impact ocean currents?

Density as a function of depth plays a crucial role in ocean currents. The density differences between water masses at different depths drive the movement of water, which in turn affects ocean currents. This can have a significant impact on climate and weather patterns, as well as marine life.