Density in the friedmann equation

In summary, the equation states that the density of matter in the universe changes with time. To determine the present value of the scale factor, a measurement of the density at a particular point in time is necessary. However, the equation also suggests that the scale factor may not be pinned down to a specific value. By solving the Friedmann equation at a particular point in time, and integrating over time, the present value of the scale factor can be determined.
RedX
I'm a little confused about the density [tex]\rho [/tex] in the equation:

[tex] H^2 = \left(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\right)^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho - \frac{kc^2}{a^2} [/tex]

Measuring [tex]\rho [/tex] at a single instant in time seems easy. But [tex]\rho [/tex] changes with time. The time dependence of [tex]\rho [/tex] is given as [tex]\rho=\frac{M}{a(t)^3} [/tex] where M is a constant. But to determine M from a measurment of [tex]\rho [/tex], doesn't one have to know a(t), which is what the equation is trying to find?

Physics news on Phys.org
RedX said:
But to determine M from a measurment of [tex]\rho [/tex], doesn't one have to know a(t), which is what the equation is trying to find?

No, it's a second-order differential equation, so the general solution is going to have two adjustable constants in it that have to be adjusted to match the boundary conditions. Fo comparison, the differential equation [itex]\ddot{y}=-y[/itex] has solutions of the form [itex]y=A\cos(t+b)[/itex]. You don't need to know A and b in order to determine that that's the general form of the solution.

Suppose [itex]H_0[/itex] and [itex]\rho_0[/itex], the values of [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] at the present time, are measured. Evaluating the Friedmann equation at the present time gives [itex]a_0[/itex], the present value of the scale factor.

[tex]\rho = \frac{M}{a^3},[/tex]

then gives

[tex]\rho = \rho_0 \frac{a_0^3}{a^3}.[/tex]

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Suppose [itex]H_0[/itex] and [itex]\rho_0[/itex], the values of [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] at the present time are measured. Evaluating the Friedmann equation at the present time gives [itex]a_0[/itex], the present value of the scale factor.

[tex]\rho = \frac{M}{a^3},[/tex]

then gives

[tex]\rho = \rho_0 \frac{a_0^3}{a^3}.[/tex]

Assume k=0. Then if you measure [tex]\rho_0[/tex], then don't you have [itex]H_0[/itex]? Or vice versa: if you measure [itex]H_0[/itex] don't you have [tex]\rho_0[/tex]?

That's what seems to be implied by the equation:[tex]
H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho
[/tex], so I'm still not sure how to get [tex]a_0[/tex]

RedX said:
That's what seems to be implied by the equation:[tex]
H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho
[/tex]

This isn't the equation that you gave in your original post.

George Jones said:
This isn't the equation that you gave in your original post.

I think he just said he assumes k to be zero.

That's what seems to be implied by the equation [tex] H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho[/tex]. So I'm still not sure how to get [tex]a_0[/tex]

You have to be careful here: As bcrowell said, [tex]a_0[/tex] and [tex]\rho_0[/tex] are adjustable according to the conditions of material distribution. If you don't have a given [tex]a_0[/tex], then you cannot predict what probably the value of [tex]\rho_0[/tex] would be even when the universe is isotropically flat i.e. when k=0. This is simply because you still have those adjustable constants involved within the Friedmann equation so assuming here we must have a known [tex]H_0[/tex] due to reading it off the equation [tex] H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho [/tex] immediately is correct but yet again the equation [tex] H = \left(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\right)[/tex] is an ODE involving a constant of integration to be set by hand.

AB

Yikes, I should be banned from making posts from home when my daughter is awake (like now). Sorry RedX, I neither read nor thought k = 0. I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Okay, assume matter only and suppose measurements of [itex]H_0[/itex] and [itex]\rho_0[/itex] satisfy

[tex]H_0^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho_0,[/tex]

which means that [itex]k = 0[/itex]. This, in turn, means that the scale factor is not pinned down. In spite of this, one can solve for the time evolution of [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]H[/itex]. Daughter is asleep, but wife wants to watch a mystery movie, so I'll only start the exercise.

Write

[tex]\rho = \rho_0 \left( \frac{a_0}{a} \right)^3.[/tex]

Use this in the Friedmann equation, integrate the Friedmann equation, and find [itex]\rho \left( t \right)[/itex] and [itex]H \left( t \right)[/itex]. The value of [itex]a_0[/itex] is not needed to do this.

Related to Density in the friedmann equation

1. What is density in the Friedmann equation?

Density in the Friedmann equation refers to the amount of matter or energy within a given volume of space. It is a crucial factor in understanding the expansion and evolution of the universe.

2. How is density related to the Friedmann equation?

Density is one of the key components in the Friedmann equation, along with the Hubble parameter and the curvature of space. It helps determine the overall curvature and expansion rate of the universe.

3. How does density affect the expansion of the universe?

Density plays a crucial role in determining the ultimate fate of the universe. If the density of the universe is greater than a certain critical value, the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse in a big crunch. If the density is lower, the universe will continue to expand forever.

4. What are the different types of density in the Friedmann equation?

There are three types of density in the Friedmann equation: matter density, radiation density, and dark energy density. These represent the different types of matter and energy that make up the universe and contribute to its overall density.

5. How is density measured in the Friedmann equation?

Density is measured in units of mass per unit volume, such as kilograms per cubic meter. In the Friedmann equation, the density parameters for matter, radiation, and dark energy are typically represented by the symbols Ωm, Ωr, and ΩΛ, respectively.