Density matrix in the canonical ensemble

Z} \sum_n p_n e^{-\beta E_n} \langle \theta' | \theta_n \rangle \langle \theta_n | \theta \rangleUsing the completeness relation \sum_n | \theta_n \rangle \langle \theta_n | = \mathbb{I}, we can simplify this further to:\rho_ {\theta' \theta}=\dfrac{1}{Z} \sum_n p_n e^{-\beta E_n} \langle \theta' | \theta \rangle \langle \theta | \theta_n \rangle \langle \theta_n | \theta \rangleFinally, noting that \langle \theta' | \theta \rangle = \delta(\
mdk31

Homework Statement

We have a quantum rotor in two dimensions with a Hamiltonian given by [tex]\hat{H}=-\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2I}\dfrac{d^2}{d\theta^2} [/tex]. Write an expression for the density matrix [tex]\rho_ {\theta' \theta}=\langle \theta' | \hat{\rho} | \theta \rangle[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{H}=-\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2I}\dfrac{d^2}{d\theta^2} [/tex]
[tex]\rho_ {\theta' \theta}=\langle \theta' | \hat{\rho} | \theta \rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the canonical ensemble, I know that [tex] \hat{\rho} [/tex] is given by:
[tex] \hat{\rho} =\dfrac{1}{Z} e^{-\beta \hat{H}}[/tex] where Z is the partition function. But this is about as far as I can get. Any assistance towards a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Great question! The density matrix for a quantum rotor in two dimensions can be written as:

\rho_ {\theta' \theta}=\langle \theta' | \hat{\rho} | \theta \rangle = \dfrac{1}{Z} \langle \theta' | e^{-\beta \hat{H}} | \theta \rangle

Now, we can use the fact that \hat{H} is diagonal in the basis of eigenstates of the operator \hat{\theta} (position operator), which we can denote as | \theta_n \rangle with corresponding eigenvalues \theta_n. This means that we can write \hat{\rho} as:

\hat{\rho} = \sum_n p_n | \theta_n \rangle \langle \theta_n |

where p_n is the probability of the rotor being in the state | \theta_n \rangle. Substituting this into the expression for \rho_ {\theta' \theta}, we get:

\rho_ {\theta' \theta}=\langle \theta' | \hat{\rho} | \theta \rangle = \dfrac{1}{Z} \sum_n p_n \langle \theta' | e^{-\beta \hat{H}} | \theta_n \rangle \langle \theta_n | \theta \rangle

Since the Hamiltonian is diagonal in the basis of eigenstates of \hat{\theta}, we can simplify this expression to:

\rho_ {\theta' \theta}=\dfrac{1}{Z} \sum_n p_n e^{-\beta \hat{H}(\theta_n)} \langle \theta' | \theta_n \rangle \langle \theta_n | \theta \rangle

Now, using the fact that \hat{H} is given by \hat{H}=-\dfrac{\hbar^2}{2I}\dfrac{d^2}{d\theta^2}, we can write the eigenvalue equation for the operator \hat{H} as:

\hat{H} | \theta_n \rangle = E_n | \theta_n \rangle

where E_n = \dfrac{\hbar^2 \theta_n^2}{2I} is the corresponding eigenvalue. Substituting this into the expression for \rho_ {\theta' \theta}, we get:

\rho_ {\theta' \theta}=\dfrac

Related to Density matrix in the canonical ensemble

What is the density matrix in the canonical ensemble?

The density matrix in the canonical ensemble is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the quantum state of a system in thermal equilibrium. It takes into account the probabilities of all possible energy states of the system and allows for the calculation of thermodynamic properties such as the internal energy and entropy.

How is the density matrix related to the canonical ensemble?

The density matrix is a representation of the canonical ensemble, which is a statistical ensemble used to describe systems in thermal equilibrium. The density matrix provides a complete description of the system's quantum state and allows for the calculation of ensemble averages of physical quantities.

What is the significance of the density matrix in the canonical ensemble?

The density matrix is an important tool in statistical mechanics as it allows for the calculation of thermodynamic properties of a system in thermal equilibrium. It also allows for the calculation of quantum mechanical averages, making it a useful tool for studying the behavior of quantum systems at the microscopic level.

How is the density matrix calculated in the canonical ensemble?

The density matrix in the canonical ensemble is calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the probabilities of all possible energy states of the system. The density matrix is then obtained by summing over all possible energy states and normalizing the result.

What are some applications of the density matrix in the canonical ensemble?

The density matrix in the canonical ensemble is used in a variety of fields, including quantum statistical mechanics, quantum information theory, and solid-state physics. It is also commonly used in the study of phase transitions and critical phenomena, as well as in the calculation of thermodynamic properties of complex systems.