Density of states in 2 dimensional box

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the density of energy states in a two-dimensional box. The speaker mentions that their professor calculated the number of states with energy less than a certain value by taking the derivative of the number of states with momentum less than a certain value. However, there is a step in the derivation that the speaker does not understand and is seeking help with. The expression for the number of states with a magnitude less than a given k vector is (1/4)(πk2)/(π/Lx + π/Ly), which represents the area of the positive quadrant of a circle in k space divided by the area taken up by each state.
hideelo
I am trying to calculate the density of energy states in a two dimensional box. The way my professor did this is by first calculating the amount of states with their energy less than some energy e and taking its derivative with respect to e. In order to see how many energy states there are with energy less than e we are first calculating the amount of momentum states with a k vector less than some k and then translating it into the corresponding condition for energy.

There is one step in the derivation where my professor makes a jump which I do not understand, and I need some help with. I understand that for some given k vector in 2-dimensions, it has magnitude

k = √(kx2 + kx2 ) where kx = π nx/Lx and the same for y.

she then makes the jump that the amount of states with k vectors of magnitude less than some given k is

(1/4)(πk2)/(π/Lx + π/Ly)

I do not understand how she arrived at this, any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may have written it down wrong. The expression needs to be dimensionless. If the + sign were a x sign that might work. The expression should represent the area of the positive quadrant of an ellipse in k space divided by the area taken up by each state.

Edit. That should be a circle a k space and an ellipse in n space.

Yep, you're right. And thanks

Related to Density of states in 2 dimensional box

1. What is the concept of "density of states" in a 2 dimensional box?

The density of states in a 2 dimensional box is a measure of the number of energy states per unit energy interval that are available to a particle confined in a 2 dimensional box. It describes the distribution of energy levels within the box and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the density of states calculated in a 2 dimensional box?

The density of states in a 2 dimensional box can be calculated using the formula D(E) = (A/h^2)*(2m/h^2)^1/2 * E^1/2, where A is the area of the box, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and E is the energy level. This formula takes into account the quantization of energy levels in a confined space.

3. What is the effect of changing the size of the 2 dimensional box on the density of states?

Changing the size of the 2 dimensional box will affect the density of states by altering the available energy levels for the confined particle. As the size of the box increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, resulting in a higher density of states. Conversely, a smaller box will have fewer and more widely spaced energy levels, resulting in a lower density of states.

4. How does the shape of the 2 dimensional box affect the density of states?

The shape of the 2 dimensional box can have a significant impact on the density of states. For example, a square box will have a different density of states compared to a rectangular box with the same area. This is due to the difference in energy level spacing and distribution within each shape.

5. What is the significance of the density of states in 2 dimensional systems?

The density of states in 2 dimensional systems is important for understanding the behavior of particles confined in a 2 dimensional space, such as electrons in a thin film or atoms on the surface of a material. It can also provide insights into the electronic and optical properties of 2 dimensional materials, and has applications in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.