Depiction of distribution of photons over time

In summary, the Schrödinger equation can describe the evolution of a quantum system's state over time, but it cannot directly tell us about the probability of a photon being observed at a certain location. This requires initial conditions, such as the wave function at time t=0. However, the Schrödinger equation is not applicable to photons, as they are relativistic quantum objects and require the use of quantum electrodynamics to be described. Therefore, the concept of a wave function for photons does not exist in the same sense as it does for non-relativistic quantum systems.
entropy1
I have a question about photons and the Schrödinger equation.

Photons behave like particles but also as waves. I understand that this can be described by the Schrödinger equation as a photon having a certain probability to be somewhere.

If I understand this correctly, I take it that there are places in which the photon is more likely to be found than other places. Since a photon travels, the following question arose with me: how does the spatial distribution of the probability of the photon being somewhere evolve over time? Is this what the Schrödinger equation describes? Is there an easy (layman) way to depict such a distribution? (over time)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
I understand that this can be described by the Schrödinger equation as a photon having a certain probability to be somewhere.
Is this what the Schrödinger equation describes? Is there an easy (layman) way to depict such a distribution? (over time)
The second part is correct, but not the first. The Schrodinger equation describes the evolution of a quantum system's state over time. But it cannot on its own tell you anything about the probability of a photon observation occurring at a particular place. For that, initial conditions are needed, such as the wave function at time t=0.

andrewkirk said:
For that, initial conditions are needed, such as the wave function at time t=0.

That is exactly what I mean.:smile: If this is given, is there an easy way to visualize the spatial probability distribution evolution?

I imagine a wave-like distribution of which the amplitude differs over space and evolves over time.

Last edited:
The Schrödinger equation is part of non-relativistic quantum mechanics. Photons are quintessentially relativistic quantum objects. You have to use quantum electrodynamics (a quantum field theory) to describe them. Photons don't even have a wave function in the sense of the ##\Psi## of the Schrödinger equation. See the following previous discussion for example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/about-wave-function-of-photon.791842/

Last edited:
Likes bhobba

Related to Depiction of distribution of photons over time

1. How are photons distributed over time?

The distribution of photons over time is known as the photon distribution function, which describes the probability of finding a photon at a given location and time. This function is dependent on factors such as the source of the photons, the medium they are traveling through, and the detection method used.

2. What factors affect the distribution of photons over time?

Several factors can affect the distribution of photons over time, including the energy and direction of the source, the medium through which the photons are traveling, and the detection method used.

3. How is the distribution of photons over time measured?

The distribution of photons over time can be measured using various techniques, such as time-resolved spectroscopy, time-correlated single photon counting, or photon correlation spectroscopy. These methods involve detecting and analyzing the arrival times of photons at a specific location.

4. What applications require the study of the distribution of photons over time?

The study of the distribution of photons over time has various applications, including in fields such as astronomy, quantum physics, and medical imaging. Understanding the behavior of photons over time is crucial in developing advanced technologies and improving our understanding of the universe.

5. How does the distribution of photons over time impact the behavior of light?

The distribution of photons over time plays a significant role in the behavior of light. Photons that are closely spaced in time can interfere with each other, leading to phenomena such as diffraction and interference. The distribution of photons also determines the energy and direction of light, which can affect its interactions with matter.