Derivation of carrier density formula

In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of a formula for carrier density in a semiconductor active area. The formula is n=\frac{1}{qV} \int_0^I{\tau} dI, where n is the carrier density, q is the elementary charge, and V is the volume of the semiconductor active area. The conversation also mentions equations 2, 3, and 4 which relate to the relationship between carrier density and injected current, as well as the definition of the relationship between \tau and I. The speaker is struggling to derive the first equation from equations 2, 3, and 4.
McKendrigo
Hi there,

Not sure if this is in the best section, but here goes...

I'm trying to establish how a formula from a paper I have read has been derived. The formula is:

[tex]n=\frac{1}{qV} \int_0^I{\tau} dI[/tex]

where n is the carrier density, q is the elementary charge, V is the volume of the semiconductor active area.

From another source (textbook) I have:

[itex]\frac{1}{\tau} = \frac{\partial R}{\partial n}[/itex]

where

[itex]R(n) = An + Bn^2 + Cn^3[/itex]

and also the injected current I is related to n as follows:

[itex]I = qVR(n)[/itex]

I have a complete mental block on how whether I can derive the first equation from the following three - any help would be appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am also confused about something from the textbook: it uses equations 2,3 and 4 above to define the relationship between [tex]\tau[/tex] and I as being:

[tex]\frac {1}{\tau^2} = A^2 + \frac{4B}{qV}I}[/tex]

I just keep going round in circles when I try to derive this from equations 2,3 and 4 :(

Related to Derivation of carrier density formula

1. What is the derivation of carrier density formula?

The carrier density formula is derived from the basic principles of semiconductor physics and the relationship between the number of carriers and their corresponding concentrations. It takes into account factors such as temperature, doping concentration, and material properties.

2. What is the significance of the carrier density formula?

The carrier density formula is crucial in understanding the behavior of semiconductors and their applications in electronic devices. It allows for the calculation of the number of charge carriers present in a material, which is essential in determining its electrical conductivity and other properties.

3. How is the carrier density formula derived mathematically?

The carrier density formula is derived by utilizing the equations for charge continuity and the relationship between carrier concentration and mobility. These equations are then solved and rearranged to obtain the final formula.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving the carrier density formula?

The carrier density formula is based on several assumptions, including the material being a homogeneous semiconductor, the carriers being in thermal equilibrium, and the material being in a steady-state condition.

5. Can the carrier density formula be applied to all types of semiconductors?

While the carrier density formula is applicable to most semiconductors, it may not be accurate for all types of materials. Some materials may have additional factors that need to be considered, such as bandgap energy and carrier scattering mechanisms. In such cases, modifications to the formula may be necessary.