Derivation of Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality

In summary: Could you also equally just take the absolute value of the of both sides of the inequality ##\pm a \le b## instead of using the definition of absolute value? This would give ##|a| \le |b|##
member 731016
For this,
1679289109955.png

I don't understand how they got from (1) to (2)? Dose someone please know what binary operation allows for that?

I also don't understand how they algebraically got from line (2) to (3).

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1679288278254.png
    1679288278254.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 1679288324177.png
    1679288324177.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
They used the geometric definition of vector dot product which is:

##u \cdot v = |u| |v| cos(\theta)## where its understood that ##\theta## is the angle between u and v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product
Thank you for your reply @jedishrfu !

Sorry if I was not clear. How did they go from ## -|v||w| ≤ v \cdot w ≤ |v||w| ## be equal to ##|v \cdot w| ≤ |v||w|##? The textbook dose not show any immediate steps.

I also don't know what allowed them to multiply all of ##-1 ≤ \cos\theta ≤ 1## by ##|v||w| ## to get line (2).

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Sorry if I was not clear. How did they go from ## -|v||w| ≤ v \cdot w ≤ |v||w| ## be equal to ##|v \cdot w| ≤ |v||w|##? The textbook dose not show any immediate steps.
Try it the other way. What does ##|x|\leq a## tell you about the range of allowed values for ##x##?
Callumnc1 said:
I also don't know what allowed them to multiply all of ##-1 ≤ \cos\theta ≤ 1## by ##|v||w| ## to get line (2).
If one number (e.g. ##\cos\theta##) is less than another (e.g. ##1##) and I multiply both by some positive value (e.g. ##|v||w|##), do you think the product with the smaller value (##|v||w|\cos\theta##) could ever be larger than the product with the larger value (##1|v||w|##)?

Likes member 731016
Ibix said:
Try it the other way. What does ##|x|\leq a## tell you about the range of allowed values for ##x##?
Thank you for your reply @Ibix!

The range of allowed values of x have to such that their abs is less than or equal to a.

Many thanks!

Ibix said:
If one number (e.g. ##\cos\theta##) is less than another (e.g. ##1##) and I multiply both by some positive value (e.g. ##|v||w|##), do you think the product with the smaller value (##|v||w|\cos\theta##) could ever be larger than the product with the larger value (##1|v||w|##)?
Thank you for your reply @Ibix!

No I don't think so.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
##-|v||w| ≤ v \cdot w ≤ |v||w| ## be equal to ##|v \cdot w| ≤ |v||w|##?

By definition, if ## -b \leq a \leq b ## then we write this as ## |a| \leq b##

Likes member 731016 and jedishrfu
malawi_glenn said:
By definition, if ## -b \leq a \leq b ## then we write this as ## |a| \leq b##
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn! Sorry, where did you read that is true? I am not sure where it is derived from. I have never seen that before sorry.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn! Sorry, where did you read that is true? I am not sure where it is derived from. I have never seen that before sorry.

Many thanks!
Any math textbook on pre calc should cover this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_value

And it is not derived it is a definition, a way of writing more compact

Likes member 731016
Callumnc1 said:
Draw a number line. Mark ##0## and ##\pm b##. What region of this line can ##a## lie in if ##|a|\leq b##? What region can it lie in if ##-b\leq a\leq b##?

Likes member 731016
Ibix said:
Draw a number line. Mark ##0## and ##\pm b##. What region of this line can ##a## lie in if ##|a|\leq b##? What region can it lie in if ##-b\leq a\leq b##?
Thank you for your reply @lbix ! I will do some thinking. Many thanks!

If ##-b \le a \le b##, then ##a \le b## and ##-b \le a## (or, ##-a \le b##). So ##\pm a \le b##. Since ##|a|## is either ##a## or ##-a##, then ##|a| \le b##.

Likes member 731016, DaveE and Ibix
Euge said:
If ##-b \le a \le b##, then ##a \le b## and ##-b \le a## (or, ##-a \le b##). So ##\pm a \le b##. Since ##|a|## is either ##a## or ##-a##, then ##|a| \le b##.
Thank you for your reply @Euge!

Could you also equally just take the absolute value of the of both sides of the inequality ##\pm a \le b## instead of using the definition of absolute value? This would give ##|a| \le |b|##

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Could you also equally just take the absolute value of the of both sides of the inequality ##\pm a \le b## instead of using the definition of absolute value? This would give ##|a| \le |b|##
In general, the inequality ##a \le b## does not imply ##|a| \le |b|##. For example, ##-2 \le 1## but ##|-2| > |1|## since ##|-2| = 2## and ##|-1| = 1##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, member 731016 and malawi_glenn