Derivation of equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence

In summary, the author is going through the derivation for the equations relating to frequency-domain lifetime measurements for fluorescent samples. A sinusoidally-modulated light source excites a fluorescent sample, and the fluorescence lifetime of the sample, \tau is found by relating \tau to the phase shift and/or amplitude de-modulation of the fluorescence relative to the excitation source. The fluorescence emission will respond to this excitation with the same frequency, but with a different phase shift and modulation. For a single exponential decay, the differential equation describing the time-dependent excited state population is: {dI(t)}/{dt} = -{1/\tau}*I(
McKendrigo
Hello there,

I'm going through the derivation for the equations relating to frequency-domain lifetime measurements for fluorescent samples. This is a technique whereby a sinusoidally-modulated light source excites a fluorescent sample, and the fluorescence lifetime of the sample, [tex]\tau[/tex] is found by relating [tex]\tau[/tex] to the phase shift and/or amplitude de-modulation of the fluorescence relative to the excitation source.

I'll go through the derivation up to the point I'm a little stuck!

Firstly, the excitation is given by:

[tex]L(t)= a + b sin \omega t[/tex],

where b/a = Ml is the modulation of the excitation light.

The fluorescence emission will respond to this excitation with the same frequency, but with a different phase shift and modulation. We assume that the excited state population of the fluorescent sample is:

[tex]N(t)= A + B sin(\omega t - \phi)[/tex],

The intensity, I(t), at any time is proportional to the number of molecules in the excited state N(t).

We suppose that the intensity decay following a delta-function excitation is a single exponential:

[tex]I(t) = I_{o}*exp(-t/\tau)[/tex]

Now - here comes where I come unstuck! - For a single exponential decay, the differential equation describing the time-dependent excited state population is:

[tex]{dI(t)}/{dt} = -{1/\tau}*I(t) + L(t)[/tex]

The textbook then goes on to substitute N(t) for I(t) in that equation, and find relationships between [tex]\tau[/tex] and the phase shift / de-modulation. The subsequent steps I'm fine with, I'm just not sure where this last equation comes from. I'm particularly unsure as to why you add L(t), rather than adding its derivative. If anyone could shed some light on how this equation must have been derived, I would be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm way out of my area as far as your particular application is but here is my take, FWIW.

With your delta impulse the intensity I decreases exponentially according to your equation

[tex]
\frac {dI(t)}{dt} +\frac 1 \tau I(t) =0
[/tex]

giving the solution

[tex]
I(t) = I_{o}*e^{-\frac t \tau}
[/tex]

Now under the excitation L(t) you have a forcing function on the right side, much like the equation of a damped spring with a forcing function:

[tex]
\frac {dI(t)}{dt} +\frac 1 \tau I(t) =L(t)
[/tex]

Just my best guess. Probably I'd have to know the derivation of the DE in the first place to be sure.

That sounds entirely sensible to me. Thanks for your help!

Related to Derivation of equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence

1. What is Phase-modulation fluorescence?

Phase-modulation fluorescence is a technique used in fluorescence microscopy to enhance the contrast and resolution of images by modulating the phase of the excitation light. It is based on the principle that fluorophores exhibit different fluorescence lifetimes depending on their local environment, allowing for differentiation between different structures in the sample.

2. How is the equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence derived?

The equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence is derived from the principles of fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM) and Fourier transform spectroscopy. It involves the use of a phase-modulated excitation light source, a reference detector, and a sample detector to measure the fluorescence lifetimes at different phases. This data is then used to create a phase-modulation image, which can reveal structural information about the sample.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence?

The accuracy of the equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence is influenced by several factors, such as the modulation frequency and amplitude of the excitation light, the fluorophore's quantum yield and fluorescence lifetime, and the optical properties of the sample. Proper calibration and control of these variables are crucial for obtaining reliable results.

4. Can the equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence be used for quantitative analysis?

Yes, the equation for Phase-modulation fluorescence can be used for quantitative analysis of fluorescence lifetime, which can provide information about the local environment and concentration of fluorophores in the sample. However, it is essential to use appropriate standards and controls to ensure accurate measurements.

5. What are the advantages of using Phase-modulation fluorescence compared to other fluorescence imaging techniques?

Phase-modulation fluorescence offers several advantages over other fluorescence imaging techniques, such as improved contrast and resolution, the ability to differentiate between different structures with similar fluorescence properties, and the ability to perform quantitative analysis. It is also less affected by photobleaching and phototoxicity, making it suitable for long-term imaging of live samples.