Derivation of higher deratives of parametric equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the product rule and chain rule to find the second derivative of a function. The steps involve differentiating using the product rule and then the quotient rule. The final result is (x dot y dot dot - y dot x dot dot)/ (x dot)^ 2.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

so dy/dx = y dot / x dot

and d^2y/dx^2 = d/dx(y dot/x dot)

can someone please show me the steps to get

d^2y/dx^2 = (x dot y dot dot - y dot x dot dot)/ (x dot)^ 2

I've been trying to get to it for the last half an hour and failing

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
so you have
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y'}}{x'}} = y'(x')^{-1} [/tex]

now try differntiating using the product & chain rule
(i used dashes instead of dots, but same thing)

sorry but I don't see where you got x' = y'(x')^-1 from

Thanks
Thomas

The product rule and chain rule need to be used here. Use the product rule first then use the chainrule. Example [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{1}{y}=\frac{d}{dy}\left(\frac{1}{y}\right)\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex].

The first step is using the product rule on:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{\dot{y}}{\dot{x}}[/tex].

Can you post the results?

Last edited:
thomas49th said:
sorry but I don't see where you got x' = y'(x')^-1 from

Thanks
Thomas

That isn't what he meant: he was writing out the equation and it started on a new line.

What he meant was:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y'}{x'} = y' \cdot (x')^{-1}[/tex]

and if you ask me you needn't do that step and head straight on to the quotient rule: [tex]\frac{vdu - udv}{v^{2}}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{vu'-uv'}{v^{2}}[/tex] where [tex]y' = u \ ; \ x' = v[/tex]

Just to expand on this:

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=y''[/tex] or [tex]u'=y''[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}=x''[/tex] or [tex]v'=x''[/tex]

both give you the same result(duh) and there is not extra calculation needed.

Last edited:
I hope this has solved your problems.=]

Related to Derivation of higher deratives of parametric equations

What is the definition of a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical expression that defines a relationship between two variables, typically denoted as x and y, in terms of a third variable, usually denoted as t. This allows for a more general representation of curves and surfaces compared to traditional equations in terms of x and y.

How are higher derivatives of parametric equations calculated?

To find the nth derivative of a parametric equation, we can use the chain rule and product rule to differentiate each component of the equation with respect to t. Then, we can substitute these derivatives into the formula for the nth derivative of a composite function.

What is the purpose of finding higher derivatives of parametric equations?

Higher derivatives of parametric equations can provide information about the curvature, concavity, and inflection points of a curve or surface. They can also be used to solve optimization problems and analyze the behavior of a system over time.

Are there any limitations to finding higher derivatives of parametric equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding higher derivatives of parametric equations. The equations must be differentiable and continuous, and the derivatives may not exist at certain points or may be undefined. Additionally, the complexity of the equations may make it difficult to find higher derivatives analytically.

How can the derivatives of parametric equations be applied in real-world situations?

The derivatives of parametric equations have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of objects, analyze the stability of systems, and optimize production processes. They can also be used to create realistic computer graphics and animations.