Derivation of nth fibonacci term

In summary, the Fibonacci sequence is defined by F0= 1, F1= 1, Fn+2= Fn+1+ Fn. Fn can be found by solving a quadratic equation with an integer A and B.
soandos
i know that there is a formula to find the nth term.
two questions:

what does mean for non-integer n (as the recurrence relation breaks down i think),
and how was this derived

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fibonacci sequence is defined by F0= 1, F1= 1, Fn+2= Fn+1+ Fn.

A standard method of trying to solve such recursion formulas is to try something of the form Fn= an. Then, of course, Fn+1= an+1 and Fn+2= an+2 so the equation becomes an+2= an+1+ an. If we divide the entire equation by an we arrive at a2= a+ 1 or the quadratic equation a2- a- 1= 0. Solving that by the quadratic formula,
[tex]a= \frac{1\pm\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]
That tells us that
[tex]F_n= \left(\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n[/tex]
and
[tex]F_n= \left(\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n[/tex]
satisfy that equation. Since this is a linear equation, any solution must be of the form
[tex]F_n= A\left(\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n+ B\left(\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n[/tex]
for some numbers A and B.
In particular, if n= 0
[tex]F_0= A+ B= 1[/itex]
and, if n= 1
[tex]F_n= A\left(\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)+ B\left(\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)= 1[/tex]
Solving those two equations for A and B, we get (assuming I have done the arithmetic correctly!)
[tex]A= \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2\sqrt{5}}[/tex]
and
[tex]B= \frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

Putting all of that together, we have
[tex]F_n= \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2\sqrt{5}}\left(\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n+ \frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2\sqrt{5}}\left(\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n[/tex]

It is remarkable that this gives integer values for n any non-negative integer!

I don't know that it "means" anything for non-integer n.

Thank you!

I wonder if using formula shown by HallsofIvy is faster than using definition, as raising irrational numbers to high powers with high accuracy is numerically much more expensive then integer addition.

I don't see how that formula works. It does not work for n=1. I take this, as well as I can write it, to be the standard form:

[tex]((\frac{1+\sqrt5}{2}})^n-({\frac{1-\sqrt5}{2})^n})*{\frac{1}{\sqrt5}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Halls,
I think you lost a minus sign on the B term should read:

[tex] F_n= \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2\sqrt{5}}\left(\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n- \frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2\sqrt{5}}\left(\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}\right)^n [/tex]

Edit may as well finish it.

This can be written as:

[tex] F_n = \left(\left(\frac {1+ \sqrt{5}} 2\right)^{n+1} - \left (\frac {1- \sqrt{5}} 2\right)^{n+1} \right)* \frac 1 {\sqrt{5}} [/tex]

Edit again:
Robert, you seem to have lost a factor, your exponent should be n+1, it does indeed work with that correction.

Last edited:
Dang! If I could only do arithmetic!

HallsofIvy said:
Dang! If I could only do arithmetic!

:smile: How well I know the feeling.

Integral, Robert, you seem to have lost a factor, your exponent should be n+1, it does indeed work with that correction.

It depends upon how we start the series. Wolfram says, F(1) = F(2) = 1.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FibonacciNumber.html.

Borek: I wonder if using formula shown by HallsofIvy is faster than using definition, as raising irrational numbers to high powers with high accuracy is numerically much more expensive then integer addition.

One thing that happens here is that the second term goes to zero. Even using this term: [tex](-\frac{1-\sqrt5}{2})^3*(\frac{1}{\sqrt5}) = \succ.11[/tex] (Approximately .11)

So that we only need to use the closest interger to the first term.

It doesn't change much. It is still about log(n) multiplications to calculate nth power. In the end we have n integer additions vs log(n) real multiplications. Or something like that.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\frac{1\plus\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

Hey, whoa, it's the golden ratio! Is the way that the golden ratio shows up in your derived formula something that is something special about the Fibonacci sequence compared to other recursive formulas?

Related to Derivation of nth fibonacci term

1. How is the nth fibonacci term calculated?

The nth fibonacci term is calculated by taking the sum of the previous two terms. For example, the 5th fibonacci term would be calculated as 3 + 2 = 5.

2. What is the formula for finding the nth fibonacci term?

The formula for finding the nth fibonacci term is: F(n) = F(n-1) + F(n-2), where F(n) represents the nth term and F(n-1) and F(n-2) represent the previous two terms.

3. Why is the fibonacci sequence important in mathematics?

The fibonacci sequence is important in mathematics because it has many applications in nature, art, and technology. It also has connections to many other mathematical concepts and can be used to model growth and patterns.

4. Can the nth fibonacci term be negative or zero?

No, the nth fibonacci term cannot be negative or zero. The fibonacci sequence starts with 0 and 1, and all subsequent terms are calculated by adding the previous two terms. Therefore, all terms in the sequence are positive whole numbers.

5. What is the largest value that can be represented by the nth fibonacci term?

The largest value that can be represented by the nth fibonacci term is dependent on the data type used to store the value. For example, if using a 32-bit integer, the largest value that can be represented is F(47) = 2971215073. However, if using a 64-bit integer, the largest value is F(93) = 12200160415121876738.