Derivation of the ordinary time derivative of the energy associated with a wave

In summary, the conversation revolves around the one-dimensional wave equation and the energy associated with it. The equation is defined as u_tt=c^2*u_xx 0<x<L, t>0, with no source and constant velocity. The energy is calculated by taking the sum of the kinetic and potential energies, represented by the integrals of (1/2)*(u_t)^2 and (c^2/2)*(u_x)^2 with respect to x from 0 to L. The issue at hand is understanding the ordinary time derivative of the energy function, which is derived as dE/dt=c^2*u_t(L,t)*u_x(L,t)-c^2*u_t(0,t)*u_x(0,t
ben_trovato
Okay, so I'm at a loss for words to describe my irritation and curiosity on how this is solved.
Given the one-dimensional wave equation
(i.e. u_tt=c^2*u_xx 0<x<L, t>0) with no source and constant velocity, we define the energy associated with the wave to be
E=integral from 0 to L of (1/2)*(u_t)^2 with respect to x plus the integral from 0 to L of (c^2/2)*(u_x)^2 with respect to x. I get that E is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies. I am, however, having a hard time grasping how the ordinary time derivative of the energy function was derived, where dE/dt=c^2*u_t(L,t)*u_x(L,t)-c^2*u_t(0,t)*u_x(0,t).
The problem I am having is that I don't know what an ordinary derivative of a function of two variables is. What I'm trying to say is that I don't know what d/dt [(u_x)^2] or d/dt[(u_t)^2] are.

If you could throw me a bone here if I'm going in the correct direction in the derivation or tell me before I hit the wall of wrongness, that would be golden!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you see the phrase "ordinary time derivative"?

Related to Derivation of the ordinary time derivative of the energy associated with a wave

1. What is the definition of a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy without permanently displacing the particles of the medium.

2. How is energy associated with a wave?

In a wave, energy is associated with the oscillation of the particles in the medium. As the wave travels, the particles move back and forth, transferring energy between them.

3. What is the ordinary time derivative of energy?

The ordinary time derivative of energy is the rate of change of energy with respect to time. It represents the change in the amount of energy present in a system over a given time interval.

4. Why is it important to derive the ordinary time derivative of the energy associated with a wave?

Deriving the ordinary time derivative of the energy associated with a wave allows us to understand the relationship between the energy and the motion of the particles in the medium. It also helps us to calculate and predict the behavior of waves in different systems.

5. What is the equation for the ordinary time derivative of the energy associated with a wave?

The equation is dE/dt = -∫(∂E/∂x)dx, where E is the energy associated with the wave and x is the position coordinate.