Derivation of the value of christoffel symbol

In summary: Oops - yes, good point, space-time has 4 dimensions, not 5. I corrected the original, for whatever it's worth.
Boltzmann2012
Hi,
I am new to general relativity and as I would like to find out how we could derive the value of christoffel symbol in terms of the metric tensor.
I have also heard that it was given as a definition for the christoffel symbol and would like a clarification on that.

Regards
Bltzmn2012

Physics news on Phys.org
By permuting the indices, and resumming, one can solve explicitly for the Christoffel symbols as a function of the metric tensor:

I didnt quite get that(although I was given the formula underneath).could you please explain what is permuting the indices. I am really new to this stuff.

Regards
Bltzmnn2012

[tex]\Gamma^\rho_{~\mu \nu}=\frac{1}{2} g^{\rho \lambda} (\partial_\mu g_{\nu \lambda}+\partial_\nu g_{\mu \lambda}-\partial_\lambda g_{\mu \nu})[/tex]

It's relatively straightforward to calculate the components of the Christoffel symbols from the components of the metric. It can get pretty tedious though.

Last edited:
elfmotat said:
[tex]\Gamma^\rho_{~\mu \nu}=\frac{1}{2} g^{\rho \lambda} (\partial_\mu g_{\nu \lambda}+\partial_\nu g_{\mu \lambda}-\partial_\lambda g_{\mu \nu})[/tex]

It's relatively straightforward to calculate the components of the Christoffel symbols from the components of the metric. It can get pretty tedious though.

Yes - a few comments on notation for the OP
[tex]\partial_\mu = \frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}[/tex]

Summation over lambda is implied by the Einstein convention, (which is that you sum over repeated indices), i.e: [correction to index]

[tex]\Gamma^\rho_{~\mu \nu}=\sum_{\lambda=0}^{\lambda=3} \frac{1}{2} g^{\rho \lambda} (\partial_\mu g_{\nu \lambda}+\partial_\nu g_{\mu \lambda}-\partial_\lambda g_{\mu \nu})[/tex]

Last edited:
pervect said:
[tex]\Gamma^\rho_{~\mu \nu}=\sum_{\lambda=0}^{\lambda=4} \frac{1}{2} g^{\rho \lambda} (\partial_\mu g_{\nu \lambda}+\partial_\nu g_{\mu \lambda}-\partial_\lambda g_{\mu \nu})[/tex]

The sum should extend from 0-3, not 0-4 :)

Nabeshin said:
The sum should extend from 0-3, not 0-4 :)

Ooops - yes, good point, space-time has 4 dimensions, not 5. I corrected the original, for whatever it's worth.

FAQ: Derivation of the value of christoffel symbol

1. What is the purpose of deriving the value of Christoffel symbol?

The Christoffel symbol is used in the study of differential geometry and general relativity to determine the curvature of a space. By deriving its value, we can better understand the geometry of curved spaces and the behavior of particles moving through them.

2. How is the value of Christoffel symbol derived?

The value of Christoffel symbol is derived by taking the derivative of the metric tensor and manipulating it using the rules of differential geometry. This process involves complex mathematical calculations and often requires the use of computer software.

3. What information does the Christoffel symbol provide?

The Christoffel symbol provides information about the curvature and geometry of a space. It can be used to calculate the path of a particle moving through the space and determine the gravitational forces acting on the particle.

4. What are the applications of the Christoffel symbol?

The Christoffel symbol has various applications in physics and mathematics. It is used in the study of general relativity, which explains the behavior of gravity in the universe. It is also used in the calculation of geodesics, which are the shortest paths between points in curved spaces.

5. Is the value of Christoffel symbol unique for every space?

Yes, the value of Christoffel symbol is unique for every space. It depends on the curvature and geometry of the space, which can vary based on factors such as mass and energy distribution. This is why the study of Christoffel symbol is important in understanding the behavior of particles in different spaces.