Derivation of the wave equation satisfied by E and B

In summary, the homework statement states that you are given a medium in which ρ = 0 but in general the charge density you are given is the free one (i.e. ρfree). You use this information to rework a part of your solution.
pcflores

Homework Statement

given a medium in which p=0, j=0 but where the polarization vector P=P(r,t). Derive the wave equation satisfied by E and B.

Homework Equations

i started with the 4 basic Maxwells equations
∇ · D = ρ (1)
∇ · B = 0 (2)
∇ × E = −∂B/∂t (3)
∇ × H = J + ∂D/∂t (4)

and with the relation
D = ɛE + P (5)
H = 1/µB + M (6)

The Attempt at a Solution

i took the curl of both sides of 3 and simplified both sides and got the eqaution
laplacian of E = µ∂H/∂t (7)
i assumed that M=0 --> B=µH
taking the curl of both sides of (7) and using (4)
curl of (laplacian of E) = (µ∂/∂t)∂(∇ × D)/∂t (8)

substituting (5) to (8)
laplacian of E = (µɛ∂/∂t)∂E/∂t + µ∂/∂t)∂P/∂t (9)

my final answer is for the wave equation of E is (9), i want to know if my answer is correct before trying to solve Bthank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
pcflores said:
i took the curl of both sides of 3 and simplified both sides and got the eqaution
laplacian of E = µ∂H/∂t (7)

That doesn't look right, how did you "simplify" the curls?

Goddar said:
That doesn't look right, how did you "simplify" the curls?
hm.. i might have written the wrong thing in my post but here is my handwritten solution

Attachments

• DSCN2923.jpg
    DSCN2923.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCN2923.jpg
    DSCN2923.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 458
Yeah there's a problem because the divergence of E is not zero here, only the divergence of D...

Goddar said:
Yeah there's a problem because the divergence of E is not zero here, only the divergence of D...

yes thank you

i reworked that part of the solution

divergene of E = (1/epsilon) divergence of (D - P)
= (1/epsilon) {divergence of D - divergence of P}
= 1/epsilon (p_free - (-p_bound))
since p_free + p_bound = p , and it is given that p = 0
thus divergence of E = 0

is that the only correction?

Well, your statement says that you are given a medium in which ρ = 0 but in general the charge density you are given is the free one (i.e. ρfree) because this is the one you can control in an experiment.
This would make ∇⋅E = –∇⋅P/ε = ρbound≠ 0

Goddar said:
Well, your statement says that you are given a medium in which ρ = 0 but in general the charge density you are given is the free one (i.e. ρfree) because this is the one you can control in an experiment.

oh ok i get it now. ill rework my whole solution

Goddar said:
thank you very much by the way

Related to Derivation of the wave equation satisfied by E and B

1. What is the wave equation satisfied by E and B?

The wave equation satisfied by E and B is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in an electromagnetic wave. It is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves through space.

2. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By combining these equations and applying certain mathematical operations, the wave equation can be obtained.

3. What are the physical implications of the wave equation?

The wave equation shows that electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light and that the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation. It also demonstrates that these fields are self-sustaining and do not require a medium to propagate.

4. What are the applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has many practical applications, including in the fields of telecommunications, radar, and optics. It is also used in the development of technologies such as wireless communication, medical imaging, and remote sensing.

5. Are there any limitations to the wave equation?

While the wave equation is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the medium through which the waves are propagating is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.