Derivation of Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation

In summary, Peter Yu asks for help understanding a step in the derivation of the time dependent Schrodinger Equation, specifically on page 2 of the attached file. Shyan provides a solution by ignoring the ##\epsilon^2## term and dividing by ##i\epsilon##. Peter Yu expresses gratitude for the help.
Peter Yu
Hi All,
I have problem in understanding one step in the derivation of the time dependent Schrodinger Equation. Please see attached file page 2 (marked in red). Most grateful if someone can help!
Peter Yu
(This is from Quantum Mechanics The Theoretical Minimum Page 99-102)

Attachments

• Derviation of Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation.pdf
    583.8 KB · Views: 247
Physics news on Phys.org
## (I+i\epsilon H^\dagger)(I-i\epsilon H)=I \Rightarrow I-i\epsilon H+i\epsilon H^\dagger +\epsilon^2H^\dagger H =I \Rightarrow -i\epsilon H+i\epsilon H^\dagger +\epsilon^2H^\dagger H =0##
Now if you ignore the ##\epsilon^2## term and divide by ##i\epsilon##, you get what you're after.

Likes bhobba
Hi Shyan,
Many Many thank for your help!
Regards,
Peter Yu

Related to Derivation of Time Dependent Schrodinger Equation

1. What is the Schrodinger equation and why is it important in science?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time. It is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, such as the position and momentum of particles, and has been used to successfully explain many phenomena in the microscopic world.

2. What does the time dependent Schrodinger equation describe?

The time dependent Schrodinger equation describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It takes into account the initial state of the system and the potential energy of the system, and allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a given time.

3. How is the time dependent Schrodinger equation derived?

The time dependent Schrodinger equation is derived from the time independent Schrodinger equation, which describes the stationary states of a quantum system. The time dependent equation takes into account the changing potential energy of the system and is derived using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and Fourier analysis.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving the time dependent Schrodinger equation?

The time dependent Schrodinger equation is derived under several assumptions, including the assumption that the wave function of a quantum system can be described by a complex-valued function, and that the wave function obeys the superposition principle, meaning it can be expressed as a linear combination of other wave functions. Additionally, the equation assumes that the Hamiltonian operator is time-independent, meaning the potential energy of the system does not change over time.

5. How is the time dependent Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The time dependent Schrodinger equation is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, understanding the properties of materials, and developing new technologies such as quantum computers. It is also used in nuclear physics, particle physics, and many other fields of science to study the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.