Derivative and marginal profit

In summary, the conversation discusses a company's marginal profit function and how it can be used to estimate the change in profit if production is increased or to determine the optimal production level for maximum profit. The formula used is ∆y≈dy=f '(c)dx, where ∆y is the change in profit, dy is the derivative of the profit function, c is the current production level, and dx is the change in production. In the given example, the company's marginal profit function is P'(x) = -0.0105x^2 + 0.14x + 25, where x represents hundreds of items and profit is in thousands of dollars. Using this function, the change in profit if production is
stanton

Homework Statement

A company's Marginal profit is P'(x) = -0.0105x^2 + 0.14x + 25 where x represents hundreds of items and profit is thousands of dollars
a) Estimate the change in profit it the production is raised from 80 to 81 hundred units. Should the manager increase production?
b)How many hundreds of items should the company be making in order to maximize profit?

Homework Equations

∆y≈dy=f '(c)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

∆P = dP = P'(c) dx
C=8000, dx=100
dP= [-0.01059(8000)^2 + 0.14(8000) + 25](100)
So solving this equation I got dP = -67085500
And since the profit is expressed in thousands of dollars, I divided my answer by 1000. So I got $ -67085.5 for the answer to question (a). So I wrote profit [increase] by $ 67085.5
Am I doing right? Because my prof explained a sample probelm similar to this, and the answer was positive, so she wrote :decreases by xxx. And I thought if the answer is negative, I should write opposite from her. So I concluded it is increasing. But I am not sure.

And about problem (b), will I be able to get maximum if I set P'(x)=0 and have a test?

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I see right away is that you are using different units than are given in the problem. x is in units of hundreds, and the marginal profit is in terms of thousands of dollars. Do your calculations in terms of those units, and then, later, do your conversions. For example, C = 80 and dx = 1. See what you get with those numbers.

Oops! Thank you so much. the answer was -31, using 80 as c and dx as 1. So profit has $ 31000 increased?

Thank you so much. :)

Related to Derivative and marginal profit

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How is a derivative related to marginal profit?

In economics, marginal profit is the additional profit gained from producing one more unit of a product. The derivative of the profit function represents the marginal profit, as it shows how much the profit changes with each additional unit produced.

3. Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, meaning the rate of change is negative or decreasing.

4. How do you calculate marginal profit using derivatives?

To calculate marginal profit using derivatives, you first need to find the profit function. Then, take the derivative of the profit function to find the marginal profit function. Finally, plug in the desired quantity to find the corresponding marginal profit.

5. What is the difference between average and marginal profit?

Average profit is the total profit divided by the number of units sold. It represents the overall profit per unit. Marginal profit, on the other hand, is the additional profit gained from producing one more unit. It represents the profit gained from producing one more unit above the average level.