Derivative and trigonometric functions

In summary: Since y = r sin(θ) and x = r cos(θ), then y/x = sin(θ)/cos(θ) = tan(θ). Of course, y/x and dy/dx are not the same thing.
Jhenrique
Hellow!

If we can equal the first derivative with a trigonometric function:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=tan(\theta)[/tex]

So, the second derivative is equal to which trigonometric function?
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=?[/tex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
Hellow!

Thanks!

You need to fix your derivative: dy/dx = tan(x) would be correct.

then use tan(x) = sin(x) / cos(x) and the division rule.

Last edited:
It is easier to derive if you rewrite tangent in terms of sine and cosine and use the quotient rule.

##\frac{dy}{d\theta} = \frac{\sin{\theta}}{\cos{\theta}}##
##\frac{d^2y}{d\theta^2} = \displaystyle\frac{\cos{\theta}\cos{\theta} + \sin{\theta}\sin{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}}##

And then simplify.

Jhenrique said:
Hellow!

If I take what you wrote at face value, the y'' = 0, assuming that x and θ are independent of one another.

Assuming as others in this thread have done, that you meant dy/dx = tan(x), the problem can be simplified.

If w = tan(x), then dw/dx = ? The derivative of the tangent function is shown in every calculus book.

proceeded from:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}}=\frac{\frac{dr}{d\theta}sin(\theta)+rcos(\theta)}{\frac{dr}{d\theta}cos(\theta)-rsin(\theta)}[/tex]

But, I don't know how do d²y/dx²

Jhenrique said:
proceeded from:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}}=\frac{\frac{dr}{d\theta}sin(\theta)+rcos(\theta)}{\frac{dr}{d\theta}cos(\theta)-rsin(\theta)}[/tex]

Can you state the whole problem? It appears that theta is a function of x and y.

I just use the equality x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ) to find that dy/dx is tan(θ) (it's known). But I don't know to manipulate all this differential algebra to find d²y/dx² as a trigonometric equation... Do you know how do it?

EDIT: In other words... my ask is if is possible to express d²y/dx² in term of theta

Last edited:
Jhenrique said:
I just use the equality x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ) to find that dy/dx is tan(θ) (it's known). But I don't know to manipulate all this differential algebra to find d²y/dx² as a trigonometric equation... Do you know how do it?

EDIT: In other words... my ask is if is possible to express d²y/dx² in term of theta

I still don't see the problem you're trying to solve. The x=r cos(theta) and y=r sin(theta) are the conversion equations from polar to xy coordinate systems so what equation are you trying to differentiate.

Then you should state this in your initial post. We assumed that when you wrote dy/dx = tan(θ) that you had written θ when you meant x.
Jhenrique said:
I just use the equality x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ) to find that dy/dx is tan(θ) (it's known).
I don't see how this can be true.

Since y = r sin(θ) and x = r cos(θ), then y/x = sin(θ)/cos(θ) = tan(θ). Of course, y/x and dy/dx are not the same thing.

Jhenrique said:
But I don't know to manipulate all this differential algebra to find d²y/dx² as a trigonometric equation... Do you know how do it?

Jhenrique said:
proceeded from:
The above doesn't make any sense to me. r is not a function of θ, so dr/dθ has no meaning. y is a function of θ, but it's also a function of r, so you would need to be dealing with partial derivatives. Same with x.
Jhenrique said:

It is in page 670 of book of James Stewart's Calculus (see the image archived)

I don't undestood very well, but, anyway, I think that is possible to express d²y/dx² through of theta too. Is possible?

Attachments

• imagem.JPG
    imagem.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 266
I don't read Portuguese, but I have a copy of Stewart's Calculus that contains the section you show. Stewart makes several assumptions that you didn't show - he assumes that θ is a parameter (i.e., essentially a constant) and that r is a function of θ. In other words, he writes r = f(θ). If you ask a question and don't include the assumptions that are being made, you're going to get answers like the ones you saw in this thread.

To find ##\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dy}{dx})##, differentiate your expression with respect to x. Using the chain rule, d/dx(g(θ)) = d/dθ(g(θ)) * dθ/dx. Here what I'm calling g(θ) is shorthand for the expression you have for dy/dx.

Mark44 said:
I don't read Portuguese...

Darn, we could have made a movie and you'd be the next John Travolta as he was in 'Phenomena'
where he learned Portuguese on his way to rescue a missing boy.

Mark44 said:
If you ask a question and don't include the assumptions that are being made, you're going to get answers like the ones you saw in this thread.
Sorry

jedishrfu said:
Darn, we could have made a movie and you'd be the next John Travolta as he was in 'Phenomena'
where he learned Portuguese on his way to rescue a missing boy.

Hilarious!

No hablo portuguesa ahora, pero quiero estudiar portuguesa alguna vez.

FAQ: Derivative and trigonometric functions

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a measure of how a function changes as its input changes. It is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input approaches zero. This is also known as the derivative formula: f'(x) = lim(h→0) (f(x+h) - f(x))/h.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides.

4. How are trigonometric functions and derivatives related?

Trigonometric functions and derivatives are related because the derivatives of trigonometric functions can be used to find the slope of a curve at any point. This is especially useful in calculating the rate of change of a trigonometric function.

5. Can trigonometric functions and derivatives be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, trigonometric functions and derivatives have many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as sound waves, motion, and financial markets.