Derivative in mass flow rate equation - Hydrology

In summary, Chestermiller said that the equation is incorrect because the derivative becomes dh/dt when V is replaced by Ah.
CivilSigma
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hello,

I am working with the mass flow rate equation which is:$$\frac{d \dot{m}}{dt}=\dot{m}_{in}-\dot{m}_{out}$$

To determine the change of the height of water in a reservoir. Assuming m_in = 10 and m_out = sqrt(20h), then :

$$\frac{d (\rho \cdot Q) }{dt}=\rho \cdot Q_{in} - \rho\cdot Q_{out}$$

$$\frac{d ( Q) }{dt}=Q_{in} - Q_{out}$$
$$\frac{d ( Q) }{dt}=10 - \sqrt{20h}$$

The final form of the formula is:

$$Area \cdot \frac{dh}{dt}=10 - \sqrt{20h}$$

How do we get to the right hand side?

I know that Q=A*v , and since the cross sectional area is independent of height, then it is a constant and is independent of the derivative. That leaves dv/dt - but the equation has dh/dt...

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The symbol Q is usually used for volumetric flow rate. But in this example, on the left hand side of the equation, you seem to also be using it for volume of liquid in the tank. So, in this case, $$\frac{dQ}{dt}=A\frac{dh}{dt}$$

Hi Chestermiller, I agree with your equation.

Here is what is bothering me though, what do you make of the following:

$$Q=Av$$
$$\frac{dQ}{dt}=\frac{d(Av)}{dt}$$
$$\frac{dQ}{dt} = A \frac{d}{dt}(v) = A \frac{dh}{dt}??$$

I don't see the flaw in my current logic. Why would dv/dt become dh/dt.

I do agree, by unit analysis that A*dv/dt = m^2 * m/s^2 = m^3/s^2 - and what I had derived is incorrect.
I just don't see where the mistake is in my math.

Thank you!

sakonpure6 said:
Hi Chestermiller, I agree with your equation.

Here is what is bothering me though, what do you make of the following:

$$Q=Av$$
$$\frac{dQ}{dt}=\frac{d(Av)}{dt}$$
$$\frac{dQ}{dt} = A \frac{d}{dt}(v) = A \frac{dh}{dt}??$$

I don't see the flaw in my current logic. Why would dv/dt become dh/dt.

I do agree, by unit analysis that A*dv/dt = m^2 * m/s^2 = m^3/s^2 - and what I had derived is incorrect.
I just don't see where the mistake is in my math.

Thank you!
Your starting equation is incorrect. It should read $$\frac{dV}{dt}=Q_{in}-Q_{out}$$where the volume of liquid in the tank is given by V=Ah.

Likes CivilSigma
Omg!
Thank you very, very much!

Related to Derivative in mass flow rate equation - Hydrology

1. What is the mass flow rate equation in hydrology?

The mass flow rate equation in hydrology is a mathematical formula used to calculate the amount of water or other fluid that is passing through a given cross-sectional area per unit of time. It is represented as Q = VA, where Q is the mass flow rate, V is the velocity of the fluid, and A is the cross-sectional area.

2. What is the significance of the derivative in the mass flow rate equation?

The derivative in the mass flow rate equation represents the rate of change of the flow rate over time. It allows us to determine how quickly the flow rate is increasing or decreasing, which is important in understanding the dynamics of water movement in hydrology.

3. How is the derivative calculated in the mass flow rate equation?

The derivative in the mass flow rate equation is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time. In other words, it is the slope of the tangent line to the velocity function at a specific point in time.

4. What units are used for the derivative in the mass flow rate equation?

The units for the derivative in the mass flow rate equation depend on the units used for velocity and time. For example, if velocity is measured in meters per second and time is measured in seconds, then the derivative would have units of meters per second squared.

5. How is the mass flow rate equation used in hydrology studies?

The mass flow rate equation is used in hydrology studies to calculate the amount of water flowing through a specific area, which can help us understand and predict the behavior of rivers, streams, and other bodies of water. It is also used in designing and managing water systems, such as irrigation systems and dams.