Derivative of a Sum: Does the Index Change?

In summary, derivatives of a series involve finding the rate of change of a series using mathematical operations and the limit of the ratio of changes. This process utilizes various rules and results in a new series. Derivatives have many applications and can be negative, indicating a decrease in the series. However, there are limitations, such as the series needing to be continuous and differentiable.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

This is for a differential equations class I'm taking and we're talking about the method of Frobeneus, Euler equations, and power series solutions for non-constant coefficients. The ODE is:
[tex]6x^2y''+7xy'-(1-x^2)y=0[/tex]

I need to find the recurrence formula and I keep running into a problem with my grouping. So the question I have is when I take the derivative of a sum, does that change its index, or does the index stay the same? Because when the book explains it with power series the index is changed with each derivative taken. But when they do the Frobeneus method the index does not change when a derivative is taken.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume $$y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n+r}$$ where r is the root of the indicial and then the derivatives are:
$$y'=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(n+r)a_nx^{n+r-1}$$ and $$y''=\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}(n+r-1)(n+r)a_nx^{n+r-2}$$
Plugging this into the ODE gives:
$$6\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}(n+r-1)(n+r)a_nx^{n+r} +7\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(n+r)a_nx^{n+r}-\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n+r}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n+r+2}$$

Here is where the problem begins, I've tried changing my indices, but I can't quite get the powers of x and the indices to agree, and when I do get the indices to agree I get three different values of a (##a_1##,##a_2##, and ##a_0##)

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:

Homework Statement

This is for a differential equations class I'm taking and we're talking about the method of Frobeneus, Euler equations, and power series solutions for non-constant coefficients. The ODE is:
[tex]6x^2y''+7xy'-(1-x^2)y=0[/tex]

I need to find the recurrence formula and I keep running into a problem with my grouping. So the question I have is when I take the derivative of a sum, does that change its index, or does the index stay the same? Because when the book explains it with power series the index is changed with each derivative taken. But when they do the Frobeneus method the index does not change when a derivative is taken.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume $$y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n+r}$$ where r is the root of the indicial and then the derivatives are:
$$y'=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(n+r)a_nx^{n+r-1}$$ and $$y''=\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}(n+r-1)(n+r)a_nx^{n+r-2}$$
Plugging this into the ODE gives:
$$6\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}(n+r-1)(n+r)a_nx^{n+r} +7\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(n+r)a_nx^{n+r}-\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n+r}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^{n+r+2}$$

Here is where the problem begins, I've tried changing my indices, but I can't quite get the powers of x and the indices to agree, and when I do get the indices to agree I get three different values of a (##a_1##,##a_2##, and ##a_0##)

In ##y## the successive powers are ##r, r+1, r+2, r+3, \ldots##, while in ##y'## they are ##r-1, r , r+1, r+2 , \ldots##, so for the same power of ##x## you need to shift the index on the coefficient by 1; that is, from ##a_j x^{r+j}## in ##y## you get ##(r+j) a_j x^{r+j-1}## in ##y'##. If we let ##n = r+j## then (with ##b_{r+j} = a_j##) we have ##a_n x^n## in ##y## but ##n a_n x^{n-1}## in ##y'##, and that last one can be re-written as ##(m+1) a_{m+1} x^m##, where ##m = n-1##. You can choose to write things however you want, as long as you are careful and avoid making mistakes.

FAQ: Derivative of a Sum: Does the Index Change?

1. What are derivatives of a series?

Derivatives of a series refer to the mathematical operation of finding the rate of change of a series, or the slope of a curve represented by a series. It involves calculating the limit of the ratio of the change in the series to the change in the independent variable.

2. How do you find derivatives of a series?

The process of finding derivatives of a series involves using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule to differentiate the terms of the series. The resulting derivative is a new series that represents the rate of change of the original series.

3. What is the significance of derivatives of a series?

Derivatives of a series have various applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. They are used to calculate rates of change, optimize functions, and solve differential equations. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems and predicting their future outcomes.

4. Can derivatives of a series be negative?

Yes, derivatives of a series can be negative. This indicates that the series is decreasing at a certain point or that the slope of the curve is negative at that point. Negative derivatives can also represent a decreasing rate of change or a concave downward shape of the curve.

5. Are there any limitations to finding derivatives of a series?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding derivatives of a series. The series must be continuous and differentiable at the point where the derivative is being calculated. Additionally, the series may not have a well-defined derivative at certain points, such as discontinuities or sharp corners.