Derivative of a^x using limit definition

In summary, RGVI explains that 2x is differentiable and continuous because it is a smooth curve with no vertical tangents and it can be defined in terms of logarithms and exponentials.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Sketch and label on the same pair of axes the graphs of y=f(x) and y=f'(x) for ... c) f(x)=2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = 2x
f'(x) = lim as h→0 (2x+h-2x)/h
= lim as h→0 (2x2h-2x)/h
= lim as h→0 2x(2h-1)/h
= lim as h→0 2x ∙ lim as h→0 (2h-1)/h
= 2x ∙ lim as h→0 (2h-1)/h

I know I have to show that the limit after 2x is equal to ln(2), but how do I do that using this definition?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

Sketch and label on the same pair of axes the graphs of y=f(x) and y=f'(x) for ... c) f(x)=2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = 2x
f'(x) = lim as h→0 (2x+h-2x)/h
= lim as h→0 (2x2h-2x)/h
= lim as h→0 2x(2h-1)/h
= lim as h→0 2x ∙ lim as h→0 (2h-1)/h
= 2x ∙ lim as h→0 (2h-1)/h

I know I have to show that the limit after 2x is equal to ln(2), but how do I do that using this definition?
Thanks.

I have a question that looks frivolous but is actually serious. What do you mean by 2^x? You know how to define 2^n for positive or negative integers n and how to define 2^r for rational r of the form k/2^n, but what do you mean by 2^x? Most definitions would use logarithms to define it, or else use some limiting process, etc. Related questions: how do you know that 2^x is differentiable? All these issues are easiest if you use logarithms. In that case the answer falls out almost without effort.

RGV

I apologize if my answer doesn't satisfy your question, but by 2x I mean the graph that represents 2 to the power of any real number.

As for your relevant question, I know 2x is differentiable because it's continuous while also being a smooth curve with no vertical tangents. I also have previous experience in deriving any base to the power of x, but I'm expected to derive 2x using the limit definition.

SithsNGiggles said:
I apologize if my answer doesn't satisfy your question, but by 2x I mean the graph that represents 2 to the power of any real number.

As for your relevant question, I know 2x is differentiable because it's continuous while also being a smooth curve with no vertical tangents. I also have previous experience in deriving any base to the power of x, but I'm expected to derive 2x using the limit definition.

You have completely misunderstood my question. I know what 2^x is supposed to be. My question is more fundamental than that: how do you define it? We know how to define 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, ... and 2^(-1), 2^(-2),..., as well as 2^(1/2), 2^(1/4), 2^(3/4), etc. But how do we define 2^x for general, real values of x? Of course we all know that f(x) = 2^x is continuous, differentiable, etc., but why do we know that? Well, in my case it was because f(x) was defined in an unambiguous way in terms of logarithms and exponentials, from which those properties follow easily. If you define it in some other way, you are left with the thorny problem of actually *proving* what you say; alternatively, you could handwave and hope for the best.

RGV

2h = ehln2.

What happens if you write the series expansion for it?

Related to Derivative of a^x using limit definition

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point, and it represents how much the function is changing with respect to its input.

2. How is the derivative of a^x calculated using the limit definition?

The derivative of a^x can be calculated using the limit definition by taking the limit of the function [(a^(x+h)) - (a^x)] / h as h approaches 0. This limit represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at x, which is the derivative.

3. Why is the limit definition used to calculate the derivative of a^x?

The limit definition is used because it is a general and precise way of calculating the derivative of any function, including exponential functions like a^x. It allows for the calculation of the derivative at a specific point, rather than just an average rate of change over an interval.

4. What is the significance of the derivative of a^x?

The derivative of a^x represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating growth rates, predicting future values, and optimizing functions for maximum or minimum values.

5. How can the derivative of a^x be used to solve problems?

The derivative of a^x can be used to solve problems by providing information about the behavior of the function at a specific point. It can be used to find the slope of a tangent line, determine critical points, and optimize functions. It is also essential in the study of calculus and its applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.