Derivative of an imaginary number

In summary, the question is about taking the derivative of an imaginary number (i) and the answer is that for the purposes of differential calculus, i is treated as another constant. The derivative of ix is i, just as the derivative of ax is a for any number a. However, if the variable x is allowed to be a complex number, the question becomes more interesting. The second part of the conversation discusses taking the derivative of a function involving complex numbers and the conclusion is that it cannot be proven without information on another function and it is not differentiable where it is not defined.
vbj194
I was just wondering if anyone knows the rule when taking the derivative of an imaginary number(i). For example: d(ix)/dx=?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the purposes of differential calculus, i is simply another constant.
Therefore d(ix)/dx=idx/dx=i

You don't take the derivative of "numbers" in general. You take the derivative of functions. Of course you can treat any number, including complex numbers, as a "constant function". As "mathman" said (and he ought to know!) d(ix)/dx= i just as d(ax)/dx= a for any number a.

If you allow the variable, x, to be a complex number, then it becomes more interesting!

how can i proof if this function has a derivative?

1/[ z*sin(z)*g(z)] from first principle?

z= x + jy.

You don't- not with information on g. And, whatever g is, that function is certainly NOT differentiable where it is not defined: any multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex].

suppose to be

1/[ z*sin(z)*cos (z)]

Related to Derivative of an imaginary number

What is the derivative of an imaginary number?

The derivative of an imaginary number is still an imaginary number. However, if the imaginary number is part of a complex function, the derivative may also have a real component.

How do you find the derivative of a function with imaginary numbers?

To find the derivative of a function with imaginary numbers, you can use the same rules and techniques as you would for real numbers. Just remember to treat the imaginary number as a constant, similar to how you would treat a variable.

Can the derivative of an imaginary number be a real number?

Yes, if the imaginary number is part of a complex function, the derivative may have a real component. However, the imaginary part will still be present in the derivative.

Is the derivative of an imaginary number always an imaginary number?

Yes, the derivative of an imaginary number will always be an imaginary number. This is because the derivative is a measure of the rate of change, and imaginary numbers do not have a tangible quantity or value.

What is the significance of finding the derivative of an imaginary number?

Finding the derivative of an imaginary number can help in understanding the behavior of complex functions. It can also be used in applications such as electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.