Derivative of arctan[(1 - x) / (1 + x)] Simplification

In summary, to find the derivative of arctan[(1 - x) / (1 + x)], we can use the chain rule and expand the denominator to get -2 / [1 + ((1 - x) / (1 + x))^2](1 + x)^2. We can then simplify this to -1 / (1 + x^2) by using the distributive property and combining like terms. Wolfram Alpha also shows this simplification by multiplying through by the (1 + x)^2 on the right and expanding the squares.
communitycoll

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of arctan[(1 - x) / (1 + x)].

Homework Equations

Everything in the "Show Steps" section:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+arctan[(1+-+x)+/+(1+++x)]

My problem is that I don't know how Wolfram manages to simplify:

- 2 / [1 + ((1 - x) / (1 + x))^2](1 + x)^2

^ which is also what I've managed to get,

to get ,

- 1 / (1+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Everything you see Wolfram does pretty much.

Physics news on Phys.org
It multiplies through by the (1+x)^2 on the right and then expands the squares.

But really, it might be more instructive to use the chain rule and do this by hand?

try multiplying everything out in the denominator and see what happens

Just multiply out your denominator. You get -2/{(1+x)^2+(1-x)^2}=-2/{2+2x^2}=...

Tell me what to do next or what I've done wrong here:

just showing the denominator:

= 1 + 2x + x^2 + [(1 - 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2) / (1 + 2x + x^2)]

= 1 + 2x + x^2 + (1 - 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2)

= 1 + 2x + x^2 + 1 + 2x + x^2 - 2x - 4x^2 - 2x^3 + x^2 + 2x^3 + x^4

= 2 + x^4 - 2x^2 + 2x

communitycoll said:
Tell me what to do next or what I've done wrong here:

just showing the denominator:

= 1 + 2x + x^2 + [(1 - 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2) / (1 + 2x + x^2)]

= 1 + 2x + x^2 + (1 - 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2)

= 1 + 2x + x^2 + 1 + 2x + x^2 - 2x - 4x^2 - 2x^3 + x^2 + 2x^3 + x^4

= 2 + x^4 - 2x^2 + 2x

The denominator you gave was
[1 + ((1 - x) / (1 + x))^2](1 + x)^2

take the (1+x)^2 inside the brackets
[(1 + x)^2 + (1 + x)^2((1 - x) / (1 + x))^2]

Go from there, I'm not sure how you started off with
"= 1 + 2x + x^2 + [(1 - 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2)(1 + 2x + x^2) / (1 + 2x + x^2)]"

Ah, never mind, I was thinking I'm meant to multiply the fraction in the denominator as if they were being added/subtracted, trying to multiply the numerators by the denominators of both the fraction and (1 + x)^2. I get it now. Thanks, I appreciate your patience : D

Last edited:

Related to Derivative of arctan[(1 - x) / (1 + x)] Simplification

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function f(x) at a point x is defined as the slope of the tangent line to the graph of f(x) at that point. In other words, it represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

2. Why is it important to simplify a derivative?

Simplifying a derivative allows us to better understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also makes it easier to find critical points and points of inflection, which are important in optimization and curve sketching problems.

3. What are the basic rules for simplifying a derivative?

The basic rules for simplifying a derivative include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.

4. Can a derivative be simplified using only algebraic manipulation?

No, derivatives often involve trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions, which cannot be simplified using algebraic manipulation alone. In these cases, we must use specific rules and techniques for each type of function to simplify the derivative.

5. Is it possible to have a simplified derivative that is not equivalent to the original function?

Yes, it is possible to simplify a derivative in a way that results in a different function. This can happen when applying the chain rule or when simplifying expressions involving trigonometric or logarithmic functions. It is important to always check if the simplified derivative is equivalent to the original function.