Derivative of f(t) = te^(2-7t)

In summary, derivatives in Calculus 2 are a mathematical concept used to represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They can be found using derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Derivatives have various applications in real-world problems and common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use the chain rule and incorrectly applying the power rule. To improve understanding, it is recommended to practice and seek help from tutors or online resources.
kxpatel29

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of f(t) = te^(2-7t)

Homework Equations

We would use product rule and chain rule, I believe

The Attempt at a Solution

(t)(e^(2-7t)
(1)(e^(2-7t)(-7)

answer: -7(e^(2-7t))

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in saying that the product and chain rules are needed, however you neglected to apply the product rule.

f(t)=t*e2-7t
f'(t)=t*d/dt(e2-7t)+d/dt(t)*e2-7t

Related to Derivative of f(t) = te^(2-7t)

1. What are derivatives in Calculus 2?

Derivatives are a mathematical concept in Calculus 2 that represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They are used to find the instantaneous rate of change, or slope, of a curve at a given point.

2. How do I find derivatives in Calculus 2?

To find a derivative, you can use the derivative rules, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help you find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

3. What are the applications of derivatives in Calculus 2?

Derivatives have many applications in real-world problems, such as finding maximum and minimum values, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object, and optimizing functions in business and economics.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when working with derivatives in Calculus 2?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with derivatives include forgetting to use the chain rule, incorrectly applying the power rule, and not simplifying the expression before taking the derivative.

5. How can I improve my understanding of derivatives in Calculus 2?

To improve your understanding of derivatives, it is important to practice and work through various problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend study groups, and make use of online resources such as videos, practice quizzes, and interactive tutorials.