Derivative of first term in Lagrangian density for real K-G theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about creating factors of 2 in the Lagrangian for a real Klein-Gordon theory and the application of the chain rule in differentiating it. The conclusion is that the factor of 1/2 in front is canceled and the kinetic term is in fact quadratic in derivatives. It is also mentioned that it is easier to use canonical normalization for the kinetic term in the quantization process.
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

This is really confusing me cos its allowing me to create factors of 2 from nowhere!

Basically, the first term in the Lagrangian for a real Klein-Gordon theory is

[itex]\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi)[/itex].

Now let's say I wana differentiate this by applying the [itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex] operator. Using the chain rule, I get:

[itex] \frac{1}{2} \left[ (\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi)+(\partial_{\mu}\phi)(\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\phi)\right][/itex]

Which must be wrong because this cancels the factor of [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] outside the square brackets!

My conclusion is that one term must be 0, or I'm doing something horribly wrong (or both :( ) can someone please correct me?

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it also confuse you that [itex] \frac{d}{dx}( \frac 1 2 x^2)=x [/itex]?
Because its in fact the same thing. The product derivatives term in the KG Lagrangian is in fact [itex] |\partial_\mu \phi|^2=(\partial_\mu \phi)^\dagger (\partial^\mu \phi)=(\partial_\mu \phi)(\partial^\mu \phi)^\dagger [/itex].

In addition, you really should use a different index for your derivative or your expression is not very well defined within the Einstein summation convention (i.e., your ##\mu##s are not the same).

@Shyan He has a real scalar field and thus the correct kinetic term.

Okay I sort of see but I still don't know how to evaluate that derivative, even if I change the index?

The question is, as Shyan said, why you think that it is wrong that the factor of 1/2 in front is canceled - because it should be. Changing the summation index, you would have
$$
(\partial_\nu\phi)(\partial^\nu\partial_\mu \phi).
$$
I do not see that you can do very much else with this without putting it back into the context where you encountered it.

Yea I think I'll post the problem I'm trying to solve. I've come quite far into the solution I think but these indices are catching me out.

Thanks guys!

Orodruin said:
@Shyan He has a real scalar field and thus the correct kinetic term.
No difference. You should just remove the [itex] \dagger [/itex]s in what I wrote because for a real field, [itex] \phi^\dagger=\phi [/itex].
The important point is that the kinetic term is in fact quadratic in derivatives so its not strange that a 2 shows up in the differentiation.

Classically, having a factor of 2 or not does not really matter. You end up with the same EoM for the free fields. Upon quantization, things are easier if you use canonical normalization for your kinetic term, which for a real scalar field includes a factor 1/2 in front.

Related to Derivative of first term in Lagrangian density for real K-G theory

1. What is the Lagrangian density in real K-G theory?

The Lagrangian density in real K-G theory is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a real scalar field, also known as a Klein-Gordon field. It is a function of the field itself and its first derivative with respect to time.

2. What is the first term in the Lagrangian density for real K-G theory?

The first term in the Lagrangian density for real K-G theory is the kinetic energy term, which is proportional to the square of the first derivative of the field. It represents the energy associated with the motion of the field.

3. What is the derivative of the first term in the Lagrangian density for real K-G theory?

The derivative of the first term in the Lagrangian density for real K-G theory is equal to the coefficient of the first derivative, which is typically denoted by the symbol m. This coefficient represents the mass of the field.

4. Why is the derivative of the first term in the Lagrangian density important?

The derivative of the first term in the Lagrangian density is important because it determines the equations of motion for the field. By varying the Lagrangian density with respect to the field, we can derive the equations of motion and understand how the field evolves over time.

5. How does the first term in the Lagrangian density affect the behavior of the field?

The first term in the Lagrangian density, which is proportional to the square of the first derivative of the field, affects the behavior of the field by determining its mass and therefore its dynamics. A larger mass leads to a slower and more massive field, while a smaller mass leads to a faster and less massive field.