Derivative of trigonometric functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of a function involving numbers and trigonometric functions. It is important to understand when to apply the chain rule in order to correctly differentiate the function and avoid mistakes.
domyy

Homework Statement

g(x) = 4∏ [cos(3∏x) sin (3∏x)]

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x) = 4∏ [cos(3∏x) sin (3∏x)]'

4∏{[cos (3∏x)][sin(3∏x)]' + [sin(3∏x)][cos(3∏x)]'} =

4∏{[cos (3∏x)][cos(3∏x) . (3∏)] + [sin(3∏x)][-sin(3∏x) . (3∏)] =

Now, my question is: Can I combine the numbers and have the answer as:

- 36∏ [cos2(3∏x) + sin2(3∏x)]

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
domyy said:

Homework Statement

g(x) = 4∏ [cos(3∏x) sin (3∏x)]

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x) = 4∏ [cos(3∏x) sin (3∏x)]'

4∏{[cos (3∏x)][sin(3∏x)]' + [sin(3∏x)][cos(3∏x)]'} =

4∏{[cos (3∏x)][cos(3∏x) . (3∏)] + [sin(3∏x)][-sin(3∏x) . (3∏)] =

Now, my question is: Can I combine the numbers and have the answer as:

- 36∏ [cos2(3∏x) + sin2(3∏x)]

Thank you so much!

The -36 is certainly wrong and isn't it a difference between the cos^2 and sin^2 parts? Why would you think you can do that? Show how you combined. Use algebra.

Oh yes. I was thinking of transferring the negative sign from sin to 3∏.

How about this final answer:

-12∏ sin2(3∏x) + 12∏cos2(3∏x)

That's much better.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Last edited:
Oh I have a question:

In the following problem

5 sin (8∏x)

They isolated the 5 to then find the derivative of sin (8∏x)

meaning they are not taking the derivative of 5, right? because taking its derivative would

result in zero.

Now, for the problem

cos (sec (5∏x))

I believe I am supposed to take the derivate of cos.

How do I know when I am supposed to take the derivative of these numbers?

domyy said:
Oh I have a question:

In the following problem

5 sin (8∏x)

meaning they are not taking the derivative of 5, right? because taking its derivative would

result in zero.

Now, for the problem

cos (sec (5∏x))

You are probably overcomplicating this. Taking the the derivative of numbers is never a problem, the derivatives of them are zero. The real problem is with the parts that are functions of x. Your last problem needs to use the chain rule. Look it up if you don't know it.

domyy said:
Oh I have a question:

In the following problem

5 sin (8∏x)

result in zero.
One of the first things you should have learned in Calculus is that "the derivative of C times f(x) (C is a constant) is C times the derivative of f".

Now, for the problem

cos (sec (5∏x))

You don't "take the derivative of numbers" because, as you said before, the derivative of a constant (number) is 0. You differentiate the functions by using the "chain rule".

FAQ: Derivative of trigonometric functions

What is the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change at any given point along the function. It is a measure of how fast the function is changing at that point.

What are the most commonly used trigonometric functions?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the sides and angles of a right triangle.

How do you find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

To find the derivative of a trigonometric function, you can use the chain rule or the quotient rule, depending on the function. For example, the derivative of sine is cosine, and the derivative of tangent is secant squared.

Why is the derivative of a trigonometric function important?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function at any given point. It is also used in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate rates of change and solve real-world problems.

What is the relationship between the derivatives of sine and cosine?

The derivatives of sine and cosine are closely related, as the derivative of sine is cosine and the derivative of cosine is negative sine. This relationship is known as the co-function identity and is used to solve problems involving trigonometric functions.

Back