Derivative Questions and Solutions for y(r) = (r^2-8r)exp(-r) at r=8.00

• Thread starter Kolby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first and second derivatives of a given function, as well as finding the minimum and maximum values of the function in a specific interval. The conversation also mentions the need to have knowledge of derivatives and calculus in order to solve the problem.
Kolby

Homework Statement

Consider the following function of variable r, for r greater or equal to 0.
y(r)=(r^2-8r)exp(-r)

1. Find the value of the first derivative at r=8.00
2. Find the value of the second derivative at r=8.00
3. Find the value of r where y takes its meinimum value in the r is greater or equal to 0 interval
4. Find the value of r where y takes its maximum value in the r is greater or equal to 0 interval

Please explain how you do it too! I am so lost :(

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
looks like you need to take the derivative of the function y(r) and then plug in the values

I know but I have no idea how to do that, I am new to physics so this is all new to me.

This has nothing to do with physics and everything to do with calculus. Have you studied it and have you studied derivatives in particular?

I have not learned anything about derivatives. My Physics Professor just decides to assign us 3 derivative problems over the weekend on MasteringPhysics :(

I am not sure what this could possibly mean. If you have not taken any calculus, then you won't be able to solve this problem.

Is calculus a prerequisite for the physics course? Are you taking algebra based physics or calculus based physics?

The OP has not shown any effort. I am locking this thread.

FAQ: Derivative Questions and Solutions for y(r) = (r^2-8r)exp(-r) at r=8.00

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. In simpler terms, it measures how much a function is changing at a given point.

Why do we use derivatives?

Derivatives have many applications in mathematics and science. They can be used to find maximum and minimum values of functions, determine the slope of a tangent line, and solve optimization problems. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of complex systems and modeling real-world phenomena.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found by using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a difference quotient. Alternatively, you can use various differentiation techniques such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule to find the derivative of more complex functions.

What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

A derivative measures the rate of change of a function, while an antiderivative is the inverse operation of differentiation and represents the original function before it was differentiated. In other words, a derivative tells us how a function is changing, while an antiderivative tells us what the function is.

Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. It simply means that the function is decreasing at that specific point. A positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing, while a zero derivative means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

Back