Derivative word problem - have I got the wrong solution?

I apologize for the mistake. I have corrected it now and the correct value for k is approximately 0.04. Additionally, the temperature is changing at a rate of 0.54 degrees Celsius/min after 30 minutes. Thank you for pointing out the error!
linapril
My answer is wrong according to the book, but I don't see where my mistake was made..

The question:
The temperature of a steak that's being put into the oven can be describe with
T(x) = 175-153e-kx
where T(x) is the temperature in degrees Celsius t minutes after the steak has been put into the oven. After 30 minutes the steak's temperature is 50 degrees Celsius. At which rate is the temperature changing then?

This is my solution:
T(30)=50
50=175-153e-50k
-125=-153e-50k
125/153 = e-50k
ln (125/153) = -50k
k = ln(125/153)/-50, approximately 0.004

T(x)=175-153e-0.004x
T'(x)=0.612e-0.004x
T'(30)=0.612e-0.004(30), approximately 0.54

Answer: the steak's temperature is changing by 0.54 degrees Celsius/min, after 30 minutes

Would really appreciate feedback on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have let the time be 50, rather than 30 minutes in your computation of $k$.

Thank you, MarkFL!

FAQ: Derivative word problem - have I got the wrong solution?

1. What is a derivative word problem?

A derivative word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a function. This is done by finding the derivative, or slope, of the function at a specific point. These types of problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. How do I solve a derivative word problem?

To solve a derivative word problem, you will first need to find the equation of the function that represents the problem. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the function. Finally, plug in the given values to find the rate of change at the specific point.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving derivative word problems?

Some common mistakes when solving derivative word problems include forgetting to use the chain rule, making algebraic errors when finding the derivative, and not understanding the meaning of the derivative in the context of the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. How can I check if my solution to a derivative word problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging the given values into the derivative equation and comparing the result to the original function. Your solution should match the slope, or rate of change, of the function at the given point.

5. What should I do if I think I have the wrong solution to a derivative word problem?

If you believe you have the wrong solution to a derivative word problem, it is important to double check your work and see if you made any mistakes. It can also be helpful to ask a classmate or your instructor for assistance. Sometimes, a small error can lead to an incorrect solution, so it is important to carefully review your steps and make any necessary corrections.