Derivative Word Problem - Trig Needed?

In summary, the problem involves a person 2 meters tall walking away from a streetlight 8 meters above ground, with their shadow lengthening at a rate of 4/9 m/s. Using similar triangles, we can set up the equation 8/(x+X) = 2/x and solve for X in terms of t. From there, we can differentiate both sides to find the rate at which the person is walking, dX/dt, in terms of dx/dt.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Now this is a problem that my sister had on her Calculus homework, and I can't seem to figure it out. I believe a similar triangles argument is necessary, but I'm not sure, and trig always was my weak spot. The problem is as follows:

A person 2 meters tall walks directly away from a streetlight that is 8 meters above the ground. If the person is walking at a constant rate and the person's shadow is lengthening at the rate of 4/9 m/s, at what rate, in m/s, is the person walking?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, we drew a nice triangle like so:

Triangle.png

We know that dx/dt = 4/9 and that dX/dt (the x-axis on the larger triangle) is constant. But I can't seem to complete the problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't true that dX/dt is constant. It's getting longer too. What is true is that the ratio of the height and the length of the smaller and larger triangles are equal. Those are the similar triangles. Write that expression down.

What, so like this?

[tex]\frac{8}{x+X} = \frac{2}{x}[/tex]

And then use dx/dt=4/9 to get an expression for X in terms of t?

Char. Limit said:
What, so like this?

[tex]\frac{8}{x+X} = \frac{2}{x}[/tex]

And then use dx/dt=4/9 to get an expression for X in terms of t?

Solve that equation for X then differentiate both sides to get an expression for dX/dt in terms of dx/dt.

Thanks! I can't believe I missed that.

Related to Derivative Word Problem - Trig Needed?

1. What is a derivative word problem?

A derivative word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is commonly used in calculus to analyze how a quantity changes over time or in relation to another variable.

2. What is the role of trigonometry in derivative word problems?

Trigonometry is used in derivative word problems to calculate the values of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, which are often involved in the equations. Trigonometric identities and derivatives of trigonometric functions are also used to solve these types of problems.

3. How do you solve a derivative word problem?

To solve a derivative word problem, you need to first identify the given function and the specific point at which you want to find the derivative. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation and trigonometry to find the derivative of the function at that point. Finally, you can interpret the derivative to understand the rate of change of the function at that point.

4. What are some common applications of derivative word problems?

Derivative word problems are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to analyze the motion of objects, model population growth, optimize production processes, and study the behavior of biological systems, among other applications.

5. What are some tips for solving derivative word problems?

Some tips for solving derivative word problems include drawing a diagram, identifying the given function and the point of interest, using the appropriate differentiation rules, and checking your answer for reasonableness. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of derivative word problems to improve your skills and understanding.