Derivatives: Find Q and its tangent

In summary, the function f has a point (P,Q) where P is on the curve of f and Q has a slope of 4x as steep as P.
zebo

Homework Statement

Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so i apologize for any wrong math-terms.

We look at the function f(x) = x^3. On the graph for f we have a point, P(a,a^3), where a =/= 0. The tangent to f through P cuts through f in another point, Q. Find Q and show, that the tangent to f through Q has a slope which is 4 times as steep as the tangent to f through P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tangent through P cuts the function f in Q, which means in Q tangentP=x^3.

3a^2(x-a)+a^3=x^3 <=>
3a^2=(x^3-a^3)/(x-a) <=>
3a^2=x^2-a^2 <=>
4a^2=x^2
2a=x

Which means Q is located in (2a,(2a)^3)<=> Q(2a,8a^3)

But this means that the tangent through Q has a slope which is twice as steep as it should be, since:

tangentQ=8a^3+24a^2(x-a)

I am not sure how i should solve this problem, and i hope you are able to understand my sloppy english/and math.

Physics news on Phys.org
zebo said:

Homework Statement

Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so i apologize for any wrong math-terms.

We look at the function f(x) = x^3. On the graph for f we have a point, P(a,a^3), where a =/= 0. The tangent to f through P cuts through f in another point, Q. Find Q and show, that the tangent to f through Q has a slope which is 4 times as steep as the tangent to f through P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tangent through P cuts the function f in Q, which means in Q tangentP=x^3.

3a^2(x-a)+a^3=x^3 <=>
3a^2=(x^3-a^3)/(x-a) <=>
Looks fine up to here. However, you apparently think ##\frac{x^3-a^3}{x-a} = x^2-a^2##. Try it with x=2 and a=1, for instance. You get 7 = 3. That doesn't work, does it?

3a^2=x^2-a^2 <=>
4a^2=x^2
2a=x

Which means Q is located in (2a,(2a)^3)<=> Q(2a,8a^3)

But this means that the tangent through Q has a slope which is twice as steep as it should be, since:

tangentQ=8a^3+24a^2(x-a)

I am not sure how i should solve this problem, and i hope you are able to understand my sloppy english/and math.

Likes zebo
Hello Zebo, welcome to PF :smile: !

Your english is excellent, no problem reading and understanding at all. Now for the math :
If I make a sketch of f(x) = x^3 and draw a tangent at x=1 (so your a = 1), then I see that that tangent intersects the curve of f(x) at a negative value of x, and not at x= 2. Conclusion: there must be something wrong with your solving ##3a^2 (x-a)+a^3 =x^3##. Do you agree ?

[edit]vela was faster but (fortunately :rolleyes:)the replies match

Likes zebo
Thank you for the fast response. Oh yeah i see, I am sorry about that i am snotty and heavy-headed.

My biggest problem right now is i have no clue which direction i need to take to solve this. I want to find Q, without using any calculators, and the chapter which this problem is a part of does not explain anything resembling this. Am i on the right path or is there a much simpler way?

Btw thanks again for the fast responses and thank you for welcoming me to the forum :)

Well, that is nice of you. So I'll throw in a hint: there is some information in the problem statement that you haven't used yet and that will give you a clue what the solution of this cubic equation might be .. :wink:

Likes zebo
zebo said:
My biggest problem right now is i have no clue which direction i need to take to solve this. I want to find Q, without using any calculators, and the chapter which this problem is a part of does not explain anything resembling this. Am i on the right path or is there a much simpler way?
You've taken a reasonable approach to the problem. You just need to get the algebra right.

As far as calculators go, we're not saying you need to use a calculator to solve the problem, but when you make mistakes, using a calculator to check and test your work is a good way to figure out where you went wrong. Also, looking at a specific example like a=1, can furnish you with insights on how to solve the general case. Solving a simpler but related problem can help you eventually solve the more general problem.

Likes zebo
I've tried again:

3a^2=(x^3-a^3)/(x-a) <=> 3a^2 = x^2+a^2+ax <=> x^2-ax-2a^2 = 0

d = b^2 -4ac <=> d=9a^2

x = (a+3a)/2a v (a-3a)/2a <=> x = 2 v x = -1

So one of the x is where P is and the other is where Q is ? or have i gone down a wrong path?

I apologize if i am fumbling about with this, it is pretty late where i live

edit: If Q is to be found in (2,f(2)) the tangent would have a slope 4 times as steep as the tangent in P, and then P would be found in (-1,f(-1))?

Last edited:
zebo said:
I've tried again:

3a^2=(x^3-a^3)/(x-a) <=> 3a^2 = x^2+a^2+ax <=> x^2-ax-2a^2 = 0

d = b^2 -4ac <=> d=9a^2

x = (a+3a)/2a v (a-3a)/2a <=> x = 2 v x = -1
You made a sign error somewhere. You should end up with ##x = \frac{-a \pm |3a|}{2}.## The ##a## that appears in the bottom of the quadratic formula is not the same as the ##a## you're using.

So one of the x is where P is and the other is where Q is ? or have i gone down a wrong path?

I apologize if i am fumbling about with this, it is pretty late where i live

edit: If Q is to be found in (2,f(2)) the tangent would have a slope 4 times as steep as the tangent in P, and then P would be found in (-1,f(-1))?
Remember how you defined your variables. You have ##x## as the x-coordinate of Q while ##a## is the x-coordinate of P.

Likes zebo
vela said:
You made a sign error somewhere. You should end up with ##x = \frac{-a \pm |3a|}{2}.## The ##a## that appears in the bottom of the quadratic formula is not the same as the ##a## you're using.Remember how you defined your variables. You have ##x## as the x-coordinate of Q while ##a## is the x-coordinate of P.

Thanks!

So as of now i have the following solution:

f(x) = x^3, P(a,a^3), a=/=0, f'(x)=3x^2

TangentP = a^3+3a^2(x-a)

In the point Q, TangentP = f(x)

a^3+3a^2(x-a) = x^3 <=> x^2+ax-2a^2 = 0

x = a v x = -2a

The tangent equals f(x) in P and Q, and P is located at (a,a^3). This means Q must be located at x = -2a

Q is located at (-2a,(-2a)^3) = Q(-2a,-8a^3)

The tangent in Q is the following:

TangentQ = -8a^3 + 3(-2a)^2(x-a) = -8a^3 + 12a^2(x-a)

The slope of tangentP was 3 and the slope of tangentQ is 12.

I conclude that Q is located at (-2a,-8a^3). The tangent to the point Q on f(x) has a slope that is 12/3 = 4 times as steep as the slope of tangentP.

Yes. The 4 is mentioned in the problem statement, so in fact you can get by just solving 3x^2 = 4 * 3 a^2 .

Old dutch saying: laziness makes inventive...

BvU said:
Yes. The 4 is mentioned in the problem statement, so in fact you can get by just solving 3x^2 = 4 * 3 a^2 .

Old dutch saying: laziness makes inventive...

Im not sure my math professor would approve, i did something similar before and he did not like it.

Sure, but once you know the answer is x = -2a you can check that it also satisfies the cubic equation :smile: (the other two solutions are x = a) and you don't have to tell explicitly how you found these factors...

from the picture it's evident

Thank you BvU and vela for your help :)

Related to Derivatives: Find Q and its tangent

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. You can also use the limit definition of a derivative to calculate it.

3. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps us understand the rate of change of a quantity and can be used to optimize functions and solve real-world problems.

4. How do you find the tangent line to a function at a given point?

To find the tangent line to a function at a given point, you first need to find the derivative of the function. Then, you can plug in the x-value of the given point into the derivative to calculate the slope. Finally, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

5. Can you find the derivative of any function?

No, not all functions have a derivative. A function must be continuous and differentiable to have a derivative. This means that the function must be defined at the point in question and have a defined slope at that point.