Derivatives: Finding Slopes and Tangent Lines

In summary: This means that the slope of the tangent line at x=2 is also 5. To find the slope of the secant line through (2, f(2)) and (3, f(3)), you would use the same formula, 2h+5, but with a=2 and x=3. This would give you a slope of 7. In summary, the slope of the secant line through (2, f(2)) and (2+h, f(2+h)) is 2h+5, and using this formula, the slope of the secant line through (2, f(2)) and (3, f(3)) is 7. The derivative at x=2 is
Dustobusto

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = 2x2 -3x -5. Show that the slope of the secant line through (2, f(2)) and (2+h, f(2+h)) is 2h + 5. Then use this formula to compute the slope of :

(a) The secant line through (2, f(2)), and (3, f(3))
(b) The tangent line at x = 2 (by taking a limit)

Homework Equations

too many to count

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so the first part I can do. I do f(x) - f(a) over x - a. In this case, for the numerator you plug 2+h into all of the x's in the f(x) formula given, and 2 into a, and then the denominator is x - a or in this case, (2+h) - 2 which = h. Factor it out, simplify, you get 2h + 5.

My question is, once I have this, is part (a) asking me to solve using 2h + 5? I'm not sure how I would go about this.

And part b, if its also asking me to solve using 2h + 5, then my GUESS would be:

the limit of (2h + 5) as x approaches 2 = 9 ,because you would just plug 2 into h.

Edit: Okay so..

P = (a, f(a) and
Q = (x, f(x)

so then for (2, f(2)), and (3, f(3)) a would be 2 and x would be 3. In the book it says that h = x - a.

So if we plug that into 2h + 5 we get 2(3-2) + 5 and that = 7. Likewise, if we just plug 3 and 2 into the formula f(x)-f(a) over x - a, we get 7/1. So that answer must be right. I think I'm on to something here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
f'(a) is defined as the limit as h→0 of [f(a+h)-f(a)]/h

So far you have calculated [f(2+h)-f(2)]/h = 2h+5

so as h→0, what does 2h+5 go to?

I see.

So f'(a) = lim of 2h+5 as h → 0 would be 5.

i.e. the derivative is 5. right?

Dustobusto said:
I see.

So f'(a) = lim of 2h+5 as h → 0 would be 5.

i.e. the derivative is 5. right?

Yes, the derivative is 5.

FAQ: Derivatives: Finding Slopes and Tangent Lines

1. What is the purpose of derivatives in calculus?

Derivatives in calculus are used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They allow us to analyze how a function is changing over time or space.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule or product rule, depending on the form of the function. You can also use the chain rule for composite functions. Additionally, there are various differentiation rules for trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions.

3. What is the difference between derivatives and differentials?

Derivatives and differentials are closely related concepts in calculus. The derivative of a function is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the differential of a function is the change in the function's value over a small interval. In other words, the derivative gives us the slope of a curve, while the differential gives us the change in the value of the function.

4. How are derivatives used in real-world applications?

Derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. For example, they can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, determine the maximum or minimum values of a function, and analyze the sensitivity of a system to changes in its parameters.

5. What are some common mistakes students make when learning derivatives in calculus?

One common mistake is not understanding the concept of limits, which is essential in finding derivatives. Students may also struggle with the algebraic manipulation and application of differentiation rules. It is crucial to practice and understand the fundamentals of derivatives to avoid making these mistakes.

Back