Derivatives in Action, Change in radius per time of circle.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differentiation and integration in relation to a circle's area and radius. It is mentioned that the change in area with respect to radius is represented by dA/dr = 2pi*r, and the change in area with respect to time is dA/dt = 0.03 (in)^2/sec. The correct conclusion for finding the change in radius with respect to time is dr/dt = 1/(2pi*r)*0.03, showing that the change in radius decreases as the radius increases. It is also discussed that r can be expressed as a function of t by integrating dr/dt = 0.03/(2pi*r). The conversation also mentions the possibility of substit
christian0710
Hi, I'm trying to understand how Differentiation and

integral works in practice, and would really appreciate

some help interpreting this calculation-
If we have a circle with Area A=pi*r^2 1) If i want to find the change in Area with respect to

radius then

dA/dr= 2pi*r2) If I'm told that the area of the circle changes with

time

dA/dt = 0.03 (in)^2/sec

And i wanted to find how the radius changes with time,

would this then be the right conclusion

dr/dt = dr/dA*dA/dt = (1/dA/dr)*dA/dt = 1/(2pi*r)*0.03 So the change in radius with respect to time decreases as

the radius increases. So is it correct to leave the

expression like this, or should i express r in the equation

as time, t, since it says dr/dt?

If i want to find the radius at a specific time when the

area increases as
dA/dt = 0.03 (in)^2/sec would it the be correct to

integrate

dr/dt= 0.03/(2pi*r)

to give me a function r which depends on t?

If i want to express r as t in the equation
dr/dt= 1/(2pi*r)*0.03 , how exactly would i do it: I could isolate r in A=pi*r^2 --> sqrt(A/pi) and

substitute sqrt(A/pi) into the equation and then to

substitute t into A, i guess i would integrate dA/dt = 0.03

(in)^2/sec to get A=A(t)=0.03*t and then substitute A=0.03t

like this

dr/dt= 0.03/(2pi*(sqrt(0.03*t/pi)I don't know if I'm breaking any rules here? OR if my

reasoning is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem or just general interest?

The first formula is wrong:
A=2 Pi r(t)^2
dA/dt= 2 Pi 2 r(t) (dr/dt)

Related to Derivatives in Action, Change in radius per time of circle.

What are derivatives in mathematics?

Derivatives in mathematics refer to the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It is used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

How do I calculate derivatives?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of the derivative or by using various differentiation rules such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. In some cases, derivatives can also be calculated using numerical methods.

What is the application of derivatives in real-life?

Derivatives have various applications in real-life, such as in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to determine marginal cost and revenue, in engineering to optimize designs, and in finance to calculate risk and return on investments.

What is the derivative of a circle's radius with respect to time?

The derivative of a circle's radius with respect to time is known as the "change in radius per time of circle." It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the circle's radius at a specific point in time.

How is the concept of derivatives used in calculus?

The concept of derivatives is central to calculus and is used to analyze and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and curve sketching. Derivatives are also used to find extreme values of functions and to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point.