Derivatives, rates of change (triangle)

In summary, a plane flying horizontally at an altitude of 5 km passes over a tracking telescope on the ground at an angle of elevation of \frac{\pi}{3}. The angle of elevation is decreasing at a rate of -\frac{\pi}{3} rad/min. Using the equation tanθ=\frac{opp}{hyp}, we can find the length of the top of the triangle to be 5√3 km. Taking the derivative and simplifying, we get the plane's speed to be -\frac{10}{3}\pi km/min. However, the textbook's answer is \frac{10}{9}\pi km/min, which may be due to a difference in interpretation of the angle of elevation.
physics604
1. A plane flies horizontally at an altitude of 5 km and passes directly over a tracking telescope on the ground. When the angle of elevation is [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex], this angle is decreasing at a rate of -[itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] rad/min. How fast is the plane traveling at that time?

Homework Equations

$$tanθ=\frac{opp}{hyp}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the length of the top of the triangle, x. $$tan\frac{\pi}{3}=\frac{x}{5}$$ $$x=5\sqrt{3}$$
Then I take the derivative.
$$tanθ=\frac{x}{y}$$ $$sec^2x\frac{dθ}{dt}=\frac{y\frac{dx}{dt}-x\frac{dx}{dt}}{y^2}$$ The y, or altitude, is always constant so $$sec^2x\frac{dθ}{dt}=\frac{y\frac{dx}{dt}}{y^2}$$ $$sec^2\frac{\pi}{3}×-\frac{\pi}{6}×5=\frac{dx}{dt}$$ $$\frac{dx}{dt}=-\frac{10}{3}\pi$$

The answer from my textbook is $$\frac{10}{9}\pi$$ What did I do wrong? Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the angle of elevation measured from the vertical or the horizontal?

Check the time-derivative of the equation: ##x=y\tan\theta##

I checked the time derivative of x=tany but I still get $$\frac{dx}{dt}=sec^2θ×\frac{dθ}{dt}×y$$

I've also attached a drawing.

Attachments

• 234.png
    234.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 498
That's good: $$\frac{dx}{dt}=y\sec^2\theta\frac{d\theta}{dt}$$

Now you have your answer.
Hint:
##dx/dt## is the linear speed.
##\sec(\pi/3)=2##

That leaves only the interpretation ... is the angle ##\theta## in that formula the angle of elevation?
See: http://www.mathwords.com/a/angle_elevation.htm

Related to Derivatives, rates of change (triangle)

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, they determine how much a function changes in value with respect to its input variables.

2. How do you calculate derivatives?

The most common method for calculating derivatives is through the use of the limit definition. This involves taking the limit of the change in the function over a small interval as that interval approaches zero. Alternatively, derivatives can also be calculated using differentiation rules and formulas for specific types of functions.

3. What is the relationship between derivatives and rates of change?

The derivative of a function represents the instantaneous rate of change of that function at a specific point. This means that the derivative gives us the exact rate of change of a function, whereas the average rate of change gives us an average rate over a given interval.

4. What is the significance of using the triangle symbol (∆) in derivatives?

The triangle symbol, also known as the delta symbol, represents a small change or difference in a variable. In derivatives, it is used to represent the change in the function over a small interval, which is then used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change.

5. How are derivatives used in real-world applications?

Derivatives have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. They are used to determine maximum and minimum values of functions, calculate rates of change in real-world scenarios, and optimize processes. They are also essential in understanding and modeling complex systems and phenomena.