Derivatives with pictures (problems 3-4)

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with calculus problems and receiving guidance on implicit differentiation and finding the slope and tangent line of a curve. The expert provides instruction and advice on solving the problems and encourages the person to practice their algebra skills.
asdfsystema
2gv1mz6.jpg

6oevrq.jpg

Help me out please ! for #4 I'm preeeetty sure i did it correctly but it wouldn't hurt having someone double check it. for #5 , I'm not sure if i took the second derivative correctly

Will be on for the next couple hours trying to understand calculus ... :(

Thanks in advance ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
You are pretty good on 4), the other two are an absolute disaster. I don't think you quite get the chain rule. Let's just take a part. What's d/dx(x*y)? Use the product rule also.

Thanks for answering

d/dx(xy) = (y)+(x)(dy/dx)

but i don't see where I am supposed to apply the chain rule
i'm having trouble with the second part...

d/dx(xy^3)= (y^3) + (3y^2)*(dy/dx)*x

d/dx(10)=0

then I got [y^3+x*3y^2*dy/dx] + [y+x*dy/dx] = 0

EDIT: wait is d/dx (xy^3) = y^3+x3y *dy/dx

Now you've got it right. Good job. That's different from what you wrote in the post. Now what is dy/dx?

[(y^3+x3y*dy/dx)] = [-(y+x*dy/dx)]

how do i cancel the dy/dx ?since I'm almost done, i'll try to work on the other problem too. btw, is my #4 correct?

#5 f(x)= -2ln[sin(x)]

f'(x)= -2cos(x)/sin(x) --> -2cos(x)/sin(x) . b/c ln(u(x))' = u'(x)/u(x)

f"(x)= quotient rule ? sin(x)*2sin(x)+cos(x)(2cos(x)) / sin(x)^2

Thanks a lot ! ^^

You don't cancel dy/dx. You solve for it. Move all the dy/dx parts to one side of the equation, factor dy/dx out and move everything else to the other side. And, yes, I think you are doing ok with part 4 as well. You could also say f'(x)=-2*cot(x) and go from there.

Haha I think I'm doing this wrong but ...

#3. -y^3-y / x3y / x and then i have to use tangent line equation after this. but i'll do it after you confirm its correct or wrong#5. I took your advice f'(x)-2*cot(x)

f"(x) = -2csc^(x) is the answer ?

I get +2csc(x)^2, but you might want to check that, it's late here. For the first one, the numerator looks good, but what's going on the denominator? x3y?

Last edited:
Yup, you were correct but it's f"(x) 2csc^2(x)

and for this one...

asdfsystema said:
Thanks for answering

d/dx(xy) = (y)+(x)(dy/dx)

but i don't see where I am supposed to apply the chain rule
i'm having trouble with the second part...

d/dx(xy^3)= (y^3) + (3y^2)*(dy/dx)*x

d/dx(10)=0

then I got [y^3+x*3y^2*dy/dx] + [y+x*dy/dx] = 0

EDIT: wait is d/dx (xy^3) = y^3+x3y *dy/dx

Wait, was the one in the "EDIT" correct or incorrect?

but if its correct, -y^3 -y / 3y after cancelling out the x's

You can't cancel that x, now can you?

i don't understand this at all . its confusing me , I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to look at

1. d/dx (xy^3) = y^3+x3y *dy/dx

or

2.d/dx(xy^3)= (y^3) + (3y^2)*(dy/dx)*x

assuming its 1. this time i got (-y^3-y)(x) / x3y ....after i use the implicit differentiation, to find the tangent line to the curve , i use point slope formula right ?

It's 2. d/dx(y^3)=3y^2*dy/dx. Chain rule. You had it right when you said "I got [y^3+x*3y^2*dy/dx] + [y+x*dy/dx] = 0". Solve that for dy/dx. I'll repeat what I already said. "Move all the dy/dx parts to one side of the equation, factor dy/dx out and move everything else to the other side." By dividing by it. Like this: if x+y=x*dy/dx-y*dy/dx, dy/dx=(x+y)/(x-y).

Last edited:
okay this time i got -y^3-y / 3y^2 . damn i hope this is right .

with all these "y's" how can i use the point slope formula to get y=mx+b for question #3 (the one dealing with implicit differentiation)

Look at your correct differentiation in the preceding post. Where did the term x*dy/dx go? And what happened to the x in x*3*y^2? You'll finally use (x,y)=(5,1) and figure out dy/dx which is m in your point slope form. Can you show exactly how you solved for dy/dx?

okay i am getting really confused .

here's what i did so far :

an09yu.jpg

I thought you told me to just leave the 2 dy/dx's on the left side and then I could cancel out the x if i bring it to the right side x/x = 1

Take your second line from the bottom. That becomes (x*3y^2+x)*dy/dx=(-y^3-y). So dy/dx=(-y^3-y)/(x*3y^2+x). You can't move the 3y^2 over all by itself, and you can't just 'cancel' the x. There's nothing to 'cancel' it. Those aren't calculus problems, those are algebra problems.

Thanks. the next thing I have to do is find the tangent line to this...

i need to find the slope first. Do i need to take derivative again? I don't think so because i already did implicit differentiation...

so the next step is to plug in the x value (5,1) so i plug in 5 ... into all the x's.

I haev a question, do I get y alone on one side of the equation and then plug in the x ?

Yes, find the slope first. That's dy/dx. You have a formula for dy/dx. Put x=5 and y=1 into it.

after plugging in, i get dy/dx = -1/10 which is the slope

then i use point slope formula y-y0 = m (x -x0)

y-(1) = -1/10x-1/2

i get y= -1/10x + 1/2 so m= -1/10 and b= 1/2 ?

Your problems with algebra are killing you. -1/10*(x-5)=(-1/10)*x+1/2 NOT (-1/10)*x-1/2. You should also practice checking yourself. If you think y=(-1/10)*x+1/2, check it. If you put in x=5, you should get y=1. You don't.

Last edited:
asdfsystema said:
after plugging in, i get dy/dx = -1/10 which is the slope

then i use point slope formula y-y0 = m (x -x0)

y-(1) = -1/10x-1/2

i get y= -1/10x + 1/2 so m= -1/10 and b= 1/2 ?
oops lol ok i see it . -1/10x + 1.5 hahahahah

Really, practice your algebra, man. It more than half of your problem. You are better at calculus than algebra. But you can't do one without the other.

FAQ: Derivatives with pictures (problems 3-4)

1. What are derivatives and why are they important?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function. They are important because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions, such as their slope, concavity, and extremas.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. These are different methods that involve manipulating the original function to find the derivative function.

3. How do you interpret the derivative graphically?

The derivative of a function can be interpreted graphically as the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph. It can also be seen as the rate of change of the function at that point.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of a function?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x + 1. To find its derivative, we can use the power rule and the sum rule. The derivative would be f'(x) = 4x + 3. This means that the slope of the tangent line at any point on the original function would be 4x + 3.

5. How are derivatives used in real life?

Derivatives have many applications in real life, including in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, derivatives are used to calculate velocity and acceleration. In finance, they are used to calculate the rate of return on investments. They are also used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.

Back