Derive % change Kinetic energy eqn for inelastic collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving a collision of two carts, one initially at rest and the other given an initial push. The two carts become attached in a completely inelastic collision. The conversation then moves on to discussing a post-lab question that asks to derive an equation using the definition of %Δ and the fact that mass B starts from rest. The attempt at a solution involves using the conservation of momentum equation to solve for %ΔKsystem.
ArtVandelay

Homework Statement

We did a lab in my PHYS with Caclulus I class involving a collision of cart A (given an initial push) and cart B (initially at rest) on a relatively smooth surface. *At the moment of the collision, the two carts become attached, providing a completely inelastic collision*. One of the post-lab questions asks the following:

Derive the equation below from first principle (don't work backwards from the answer). Start from the definition of %Δ and then plug in what you know about this type of collision (you may include that mass B starts from rest).

%Δ Ksystem = ( -mB / (mA + mB) ) * 100

^eqn I need to derive

Homework Equations

%Δ = 100 * ( ( measuredfinal - measuredinitial ) / measuredinitial )

And I assume I should use K = 0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

%ΔKsystem = 100 * ( ( Ksysf - Ksysi ) / Ksysi )

%ΔKsystem = 100 * ( ( KAf + KBf ) - ( KAi + KBi ) ) / ( KAi + KBi )

Since cart B is initially at rest, it has no Ki:

%ΔKsystem = 100 * ( ( KAf + KBf ) - ( KAi ) ) / ( KAi )

I will omit all of the one-halves (0.5's) as I replace all "K"s with (0.5)mv^2, since they will all clearly cancel out:

%ΔKsystem = 100 * ( mAvAf2 + mBvBf2 - mAvAi2 ) / ( mAvAi2 )

And I'm drawing a blank at this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the conservation of momentum equation.

lewando said:
Use the conservation of momentum equation.

Worked like a charm, thank you.

Related to Derive % change Kinetic energy eqn for inelastic collision

What is the equation for calculating the percentage change in kinetic energy for an inelastic collision?

The equation for calculating the percentage change in kinetic energy for an inelastic collision is: %ΔKE = [(Kf - Ki)/Ki] x 100%, where Kf is the final kinetic energy and Ki is the initial kinetic energy.

What does the %ΔKE represent in the equation for inelastic collision?

The %ΔKE represents the percentage change in kinetic energy. It is a measure of how much the kinetic energy changes during an inelastic collision.

Can the %ΔKE ever be negative?

Yes, the %ΔKE can be negative in the case of an inelastic collision where the final kinetic energy is less than the initial kinetic energy. This indicates that there is a loss of kinetic energy during the collision.

How is the %ΔKE affected by the masses of the objects involved in an inelastic collision?

The %ΔKE is directly affected by the masses of the objects involved in an inelastic collision. A higher mass object will typically have a larger initial kinetic energy, resulting in a larger percentage change in kinetic energy compared to a lower mass object.

Can the %ΔKE be greater than 100%?

No, the %ΔKE cannot be greater than 100% in an inelastic collision. This is because the maximum possible change in kinetic energy is equal to the initial kinetic energy, so the percentage change cannot exceed 100%.

Back