Derive Expression for Total Spin State |1,0> w/ 4 Spin-1/2 Particles

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the problem is to find the expression for the total spin state |S,m⟩ ≡ |1,0⟩ in terms of the the four bases |+⟩i , |−⟩i ; i = 1,2,3,4 using Clebsch Gordon Coefficients and raising and lowering operators. The solution is of the form |1,0> = a|+++->+b|++-+>+c|+-++>+d|-+++>, where a, b, c, and d are unknown constants. To find these constants, the state |1,0> is written as a linear combination of the states |1,m1>|1,-m1> using Clebsch Gordon Coeff
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi Guys, this is from my grad quantum class. I'm pretty stuck and need some help:

Homework Statement

Given four spin-1/2 particles, derive an expression for the total spin state |S,m⟩ ≡ |1,0⟩ in terms of the the four bases |+⟩i , |−⟩i ; i = 1,2,3,4

Homework Equations

Clebsch Gordon Coefficients

Raising and lowering operators, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK. So I know the solution has to be of this form:

[tex]|1,0> = a|+++->+b|++-+>+c|+-++>+d|-+++>[/tex]

Now, here is my plan of attack:

First, the state [tex]|2,2>=|++++>[/tex]

I applied the lowering operator to this state repeatedly to find the [itex]|2,0>[/itex] state.

Then I use the condition that:

[tex]<1,0|2,0>=0[/tex] to get: a+b+c+d=0

Also, there is the normalization condition:

[tex]a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2=1[/tex]

So, I have two equations in 4 unknowns. This is my problem.

I can find a third equation by considering <0,0|1,0>=0 however, i don't know the form of the singlet configuration for 4 spins. Any hints on how I can find that?

Still that leaves me still with 3 equations in 4 unknowns. Where do I get the last equation?

Any hints at all would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
*** Reply withdrawn. I need to think about this some more. ***

Last edited:
G01 said:
[tex]|1,0> = a|+++->+b|++-+>+c|+-++>+d|-+++>[/tex]

I don't have any suggestions (yet) on how to proceed - I thought I did, but I was wrong and that is why I withdrew my previous posting. However, before you get too deep in your method consider this: State |1,0> is an eigenstate of S2 with eigenvalue S(S+1)=1*(1+1) = 2 and an eigenstate of Sz with eigenvalue zero. The latter eigenvalue means that you must have two pluses and two minuses in each of the four-spinor terms. Now the number of permutations of two pluses and two minuses is six not four.

In fact if you add four spins 1/2 the total number of states is 2*2*2*2 = 16. The possible total angular momenta are (a) One S = 2 (five states), (b) three S =1 (9 states) and (c) two S = 0 (2 states). Note that there are six states with |S,0> as expected.

Perhaps you should try go from the |2,1> state to the |1,1> states since you know they have to be orthogonal. Then use the lowering operator to find the |1,0> states.

vela said:
Perhaps you should try go from the |2,1> state to the |1,1> states since you know they have to be orthogonal. Then use the lowering operator to find the |1,0> states.

You beat us to it. After some office hours and group effort, we got the problem. This was the method suggested to us by our professor. Thanks!

OK, I got it. When you add two spins S = 1 to get spin S12=S1+S2, the state |S12,0> is in terms of the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

|1,0>=Σ(<1,m1,1,-m1|1,0>)|1,m1>|1,-m1>

where the summation extends over all the m1 that are appropriate and the constant in parentheses is the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient.

For this problem, you need to substitute two-spinor states in the right side of the above expression. For example, you can pair spins 1 and 2 to get |1,1> = |++> and pair spins 3 and 4 to get |1,-1> = | - - >. So in the summation over all the m1 a two-spin term like |1,1>|1,-1> becomes the four-spinor term |+ + - - >.

You get additional total spin S = 1 states by pairing spins 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 and then pairing 1 & 4 and 2 & 3. This exhausts all the possible pairings and you end up with the three different S = 1 states that I mentioned earlier.

Of course, once you write state |1,0> as I indicated, you need to verify that it is an eigenstate of S2 with the correct eigenvalue S(S+1) = 2. It is a bit tedious, but straightforward if you are systematic about it.

Related to Derive Expression for Total Spin State |1,0> w/ 4 Spin-1/2 Particles

1. What is the total spin state of four spin-1/2 particles in the |1,0> state?

The total spin state of four spin-1/2 particles in the |1,0> state can be expressed as:

|1,0> = (|↑↓↑↓> + |↓↑↓↑> + |↑↓↓↑> + |↓↑↑↓> + |↑↓↑↑> + |↓↑↓↓> + |↑↓↓↓> + |↓↑↑↑>) / √8

2. How is the total spin state |1,0> derived for four spin-1/2 particles?

The total spin state |1,0> for four spin-1/2 particles can be derived by considering all possible combinations of spin states for the individual particles and taking the linear combination that satisfies the conditions of total spin |S|=1 and projection of total spin Sz=0.

3. What does the expression for total spin state |1,0> tell us about the four spin-1/2 particles?

The expression for total spin state |1,0> tells us that the four spin-1/2 particles are in a superposition of different spin states, with equal probabilities for each combination. This means that the particles are in an entangled state, where the spin of one particle is correlated with the spin of the other three particles.

4. How is the total spin state |1,0> related to the spin of individual particles?

The total spin state |1,0> is a combination of spin states for all four particles, and it does not provide information about the spin of individual particles. However, the state does tell us about the total spin of the system, which is a property that emerges from the collective behavior of the particles.

5. Can the expression for total spin state |1,0> be generalized to more than four spin-1/2 particles?

Yes, the expression for total spin state |1,0> can be generalized to any number of spin-1/2 particles. The only difference is that the number of terms in the linear combination will increase with the number of particles. For example, for five particles, there will be 16 terms in the expression instead of 8.

Back