Derive vector that moves uniformly from one point to another

In summary: Thanks for your help!Ah, I see. Makes sense now. Thanks for your help!In summary, we were tasked with finding a time-dependent vector ##\vec{A}(t)## from the origin that is at points ##\vec{r}_1## and ##\vec{r}_2## at times ##t_1## and ##t_2 = t_1 + T##. By writing the vector ##\vec{r}## in terms of ##\vec{r}_1## and ##\vec{r}_2##, and the ratio ##t/T##, we were able to determine that the vector ##\vec{A}## can be written as ##\vec{A} =
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Consider two points located at ##\vec{r}_1## and ##\vec{r}_2##, and separated by distance ##r = |\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2|##. Find a time-dependent vector ##\vec{A} (t)## from the origin that is at ##\vec{r}_1## at time ##t_1## and at ##\vec{r}_2## at time ##t_2 = t_1 + T##. Assume that ##\vec{A} (t)## moves uniformly along the straight line between the two points

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble even getting started with this problem... I really need some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you just want to find the equation of a straight line crossing 3 points?

Edit: as it is stated itlooks like it has to be a straight line just between the two points r1 and r2, so you have quite some freedom of choice between the origin and r1

A drawing might help.
upload_2016-8-29_7-24-18.png

Write vector ##\vec r ## in terms of ##\vec r_1## and ##\vec r_2## and the ratio t/T first.

ehild said:
A drawing might help.
View attachment 105244
Write vector ##\vec r ## in terms of ##\vec r_1## and ##\vec r_2## and the ratio t/T first.
I see how we can write ##\vec{r}## in terms of ##\vec{r}_1## and ##\vec{r}_2##, but I don't see where the ration t/T comes in...

Mr Davis 97 said:
I see how we can write ##\vec{r}## in terms of ##\vec{r}_1## and ##\vec{r}_2##, but I don't see where the ration t/T comes in...
At t=0, ##\vec r =0##, and at t=T, ##\vec r =\vec r_2 -\vec r_1##. So what is ##\vec r(t)##?

ehild said:
At t=0, ##\vec r =0##, and at t=T, ##\vec r =\vec r_2 -\vec r_1##. So what is ##\vec r(t)##?
Isn't at ##t = t_1 + T##, ##\vec{r} = \vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1##? Sorry, I am just not getting this problem...

Mr Davis 97 said:
Isn't at ##t = t_1 + T##, ##\vec{r} = \vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1##? Sorry, I am just not getting this problem...
Yes, but what is it at 0<t<T?

The only thing that I can think of is ##\displaystyle \vec{r}(t) = \frac{t}{T} \vec{r}_2 - \frac{t}{T} \vec{r}_1##

Mr Davis 97 said:
The only thing that I can think of is ##\displaystyle \vec{r}(t) = \frac{t}{T} \vec{r}_2 - \frac{t}{T} \vec{r}_1##
Correct! It can be written also as ## \vec{r}(t) = \frac{t}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)##. And how do you write ##\vec A ##?

ehild said:
Correct! It can be written also as ## \vec{r}(t) = \frac{t}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)##. And how do you write ##\vec A ##?

Is it ##\vec{A} = \vec{r}_1 + \vec{r} (t) = \vec{r}_1 + \frac{t}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Is it ##\vec{A} = \vec{r}_1 + \vec{r} (t) = \vec{r}_1 + \frac{t}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)##?
Yes!

Likes Mr Davis 97
ehild said:
Yes!

Woo! Thanks so much!

Mr Davis 97 said:
Woo! Thanks so much!
You are welcome:smile:

To make the problem easier did you let ##t_1 = 0##? So that ##t_2 = T##? I just want to make sure I understand the solution

Mr Davis 97 said:
To make the problem easier did you let ##t_1 = 0##? So that ##t_2 = T##? I just want to make sure I understand the solution
You are right, t is not the "real" time, but the elapsed time after t1. Better to write it Δt in the formula ##\vec{r}(t) = \frac{Δt}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)##, and Δt=t-t1. You need Δt =t-t1 in the final formula for A(t).

How can we substitute ##\delta t## for ## t## if that is not how it was when we derived the formula?

Mr Davis 97 said:
How can we substitute ##\delta t## for ## t## if that is not how it was when we derived the formula?
It was assumed in the original formula that t was zero at r1. t was not the time shown by the clock, but the elapsed time, shown by a stopwatch. So it is better to denote it by Δt.
The problem wants you to give A(t) where t is the time shown by the clock.

ehild said:
It was assumed in the original formula that t was zero at r1. t was not the time shown by the clock, but the elapsed time, shown by a stopwatch. So it is better to denote it by Δt.
The problem wants you to give A(t) where t is the time shown by the clock.
If that is the case, then shouldn't we have started our derivation with the ratio ##\displaystyle \frac{t}{T + t_1}## instead of ##\displaystyle \frac{t}{T}##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
If that is the case, then shouldn't we have started our derivation with the ratio ##\displaystyle \frac{t}{T + t_1}## instead of ##\displaystyle \frac{t}{T}##?
We should have started it with (t-t1)/T. t-t1 time elapses from t1, You have to write t-t1 instead of t. Look at your final formula.
##\vec{A} = \vec{r}_1 + \vec{r} (t) = \vec{r}_1 + \frac{t}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)## It is valid only when t1=0 (and t2=T).
A(t1) must be r1 and A(t2) must be r2 (t2=t1+T). Is it true?

Replace t with t-t1.

##\vec{A} = \vec{r}_1 + \vec{r} (t) = \vec{r}_1 + \frac{t-t_1}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)##

Is A(t1) = r1 and A(t2) = r2 (t2=t1+T) true now?

ehild said:
We should have started it with (t-t1)/T. t-t1 time elapses from t1, You have to write t-t1 instead of t. Look at your final formula.
##\vec{A} = \vec{r}_1 + \vec{r} (t) = \vec{r}_1 + \frac{t}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)## It is valid only when t1=0 (and t2=T).
A(t1) must be r1 and A(t2) must be r2 (t2=t1+T). Is it true?

Replace t with t-t1.

##\vec{A} = \vec{r}_1 + \vec{r} (t) = \vec{r}_1 + \frac{t-t_1}{T} (\vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1)##

Is A(t1) = r1 and A(t2) = r2 (t2=t1+T) true now?

Ah, I see. Makes sense now.

FAQ: Derive vector that moves uniformly from one point to another

1. How do you calculate the velocity vector for uniform motion?

The velocity vector for uniform motion can be calculated by dividing the displacement vector (the difference between the final and initial positions) by the time taken to travel between the two points. This will give you the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector.

2. What is the difference between a displacement vector and a velocity vector?

A displacement vector represents the change in position between two points, while a velocity vector represents the rate at which an object is changing its position. In other words, a displacement vector has a specific starting and ending point, whereas a velocity vector only has a direction and magnitude.

3. How do you determine the direction of a velocity vector?

The direction of a velocity vector can be determined by drawing a right triangle with the velocity vector as the hypotenuse. The adjacent side of the triangle represents the horizontal component of the velocity, and the opposite side represents the vertical component. The direction of the velocity vector is then given by the tangent of the angle between the vector and the horizontal axis.

4. Can the velocity vector change during uniform motion?

No, the velocity vector remains constant during uniform motion. This means that the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector do not change, and the object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

5. How can the velocity vector be represented graphically?

The velocity vector can be represented graphically by drawing an arrow with a specific length and direction. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the velocity, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the velocity. The arrow should start from the initial position and point towards the final position.

Back