Derive Wien's Law from Plancks Law

• Thread starter Mosaness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive Law
In summary: You want to use the command \leftrightarrow. So to write "leftrightarrow \frac{v^3}{(e^{]\frac{hv}{kt}}-1)}" you would type "\leftrightarrow \frac{v^3}{(e^{]\frac{hv}{kt}}-1)}".
Mosaness
1. Derive Wien's displacement law from the Planck Spectrum.
2. Planck's Law: [itex]\frac{2hv3}{c2(e\frac{hv}{kt}-1)}[/itex]

Where v = frequency;
c = speed of light;
h = Plank's constant
k = Boltzmann's constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first thing I wanted to confirm was that this was in fact the correct equation which I was going to derive.

My first attempt would be to try and simplify this equation as much as I can, by plugging in c, and h. And because this gives out an incredibly small number, it can be disregarded as having not too big of an effect and can be represented by a 1, giving rise to:

[itex]\frac{v3}{(e\frac{hv}{kt}-1)}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to try re-typing this question. Some of the input didn't quite translate into mathematical notation.

Mosaness said:
1. Derive Wien's displacement law from the Planck Spectrum.

2. Planck's Law: [itex]\frac{2hv^3}{c^2(e^{\frac{hv}{kt}}
-1)}[/itex]

Where v = frequency;
c = speed of light;
h = Plank's constant
k = Boltzmann's constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first thing I wanted to confirm was that this was in fact the correct equation which I was going to derive.

My first attempt would be to try and simplify this equation as much as I can, by plugging in c, and h. And because this gives out an incredibly small number, it can be disregarded as having not too big of an effect and can be represented by a 1, giving rise to:

[itex]\frac{v^3}{(e^{]\frac{hv}{kt}}-1)}[/itex]

A law states something so you should write Plank's Law as [tex]B(v,T)=\frac{2hv^3}{c^2(e^{\frac{hv}{kt}}
-1)}[/tex] where Bv(T) is the spectral radiance at frequency v and temperature T.
You want to find the position of maximum in terms of frequency. The constant 2h/c2 can be omitted, it does not influence the position of maximum.

But Wien's Displacement Law is a relation between wavelength and temperature http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/wien.html so you should work with Planck's Law in terms of wavelength. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law

ehild

do not use the x2 and x2 buttons when you write a TeX command.

Related to Derive Wien's Law from Plancks Law

1. How is Wien's Law derived from Planck's Law?

Wien's Law is derived from Planck's Law by setting the derivative of Planck's Law with respect to wavelength equal to zero, and solving for the wavelength at which the derivative is equal to zero. This wavelength is known as the peak wavelength and corresponds to the maximum intensity of the emitted radiation as described by Wien's Law.

2. What is Planck's Law and how is it related to Wien's Law?

Planck's Law is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. Wien's Law is a special case of Planck's Law that describes the relationship between the peak wavelength and the temperature of a black body.

3. Can Wien's Law be used to determine the temperature of a black body?

Yes, Wien's Law can be used to determine the temperature of a black body by measuring the peak wavelength of the emitted radiation and plugging it into the equation λmax = b/T, where b is a constant known as Wien's displacement constant.

4. How does Wien's displacement constant play a role in deriving Wien's Law from Planck's Law?

Wien's displacement constant, denoted by the symbol b, is a constant that relates the peak wavelength of emitted radiation to the temperature of a black body. It is derived from Planck's Law and is used in the equation λmax = b/T, which is the basis for deriving Wien's Law.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wien's Law to describe black body radiation?

Yes, Wien's Law is only valid for ideal black bodies, which absorb and emit all radiation that falls on them. Real objects, such as stars and planets, do not behave like ideal black bodies, so Wien's Law may not accurately describe their radiation. Additionally, Wien's Law only applies to thermal radiation, not other forms of electromagnetic radiation.