Deriving a Minkowski Force Matrix: Exploring 4-force

The 4-force can be written in a matrix form as:\begin{bmatrix}F^0\\F^1\\F^2\\F^3\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}\gamma & -\gamma v_x & -\gamma v_y & -\gamma v_z\\-\gamma v_x & 1+(\gamma-1)\frac{v_x^2}{v^2} & (\gamma-1)\frac{v_xv_y}{v^2} & (\gamma-1)\frac{v_xv_z}{v^2}\\-\gamma v_y & (\gamma-1)\frac{v_xv_y}{v
71GA
Our professor derived a Minkowski force like this:

[itex]
F^\mu = \left[ \gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v}\times \vec{B})) , \gamma \frac{e \vec{E} \vec{v}}{c} \right]
[/itex]

Does this mean that i can write 4-force like this?

[itex]
F^\mu =
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v_x}\times \vec{B}))\\
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v_y}\times \vec{B}))\\
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v_z}\times \vec{B}))\\
\gamma \frac{e \vec{E} \vec{v}}{c}
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

Short anwser would be ok. How do i put this into a matrix form from which i can get Lorentz matrix ##\Lambda## for boost in $x$ direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier if you start with the Faraday tensor (F) and write the force (f) as,
[tex]
f^\mu = F^{\mu\nu}J_\nu
[/tex]
then you can boost the field tensor F and J ( current) with [itex]\Lambda[/itex] to get the transformed force. The Wiki article might be relevant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_tensor

Mentz114 said:
It's easier if you start with the Faraday tensor (F) and write the force (f) as,
[tex]
f^\mu = F^{\mu\nu}J_\nu
[/tex]
then you can boost the field tensor F and j ( current) with [itex]\Lambda[/itex] to get the transformed force.

I am new to this and have never encountered tensors before. This is why i have to use basic math. Some day when things are clear to me in simple math i can learn advanced math and swich to tensors.

71GA said:
I am new to this and have never encountered tensors before. This is why i have to use basic math. Some day when things are clear to me in simple math i can learn advanced math and swich to tensors.

OK.

I think what your professor has written is the electrostatic force after the field has been boosted by v = √(vx2+vy2+vz2). A 'boost' is a Lorentz, transformation, in case you're not familiar with the term. In this case, the tensor expressions are like matrix and vector operations so that

[itex]f'=F'\cdot J'[/itex], [itex]F' = \Lambda(v)\cdot F\cdot\Lambda(v)[/itex] and [itex]J' = \Lambda(-v)\cdot J[/itex].

Last edited:
71GA said:
Our professor derived a Minkowski force like this:

[itex]
F^\mu = \left[ \gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v}\times \vec{B})) , \gamma \frac{e \vec{E} \vec{v}}{c} \right]
[/itex]

Does this mean that i can write 4-force like this?

[itex]
F^\mu =
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v_x}\times \vec{B}))\\
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v_y}\times \vec{B}))\\
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v_z}\times \vec{B}))\\
\gamma \frac{e \vec{E} \vec{v}}{c}
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

Short anwser would be ok. How do i put this into a matrix form from which i can get Lorentz matrix ##\Lambda## for boost in $x$ direction?
You have some misprints.
It should be
[itex]
F^\mu =
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v}\times \vec{B}))_x\\
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v}\times \vec{B}))_y\\
\gamma(e\vec{E} + e(\vec{v}\times \vec{B}))_z\\
\gamma \frac{e \vec{v}\cdot\vec{E} }{c}
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex].
Then F^\mu transforms like any other four-vector.

Last edited:

Related to Deriving a Minkowski Force Matrix: Exploring 4-force

1. What is a Minkowski force matrix?

A Minkowski force matrix is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to calculate the force experienced by an object moving at relativistic speeds. It takes into account both the three-dimensional force vector and the fourth dimension of time.

2. How is a Minkowski force matrix derived?

A Minkowski force matrix is derived using the principles of special relativity and the four-force equation, which relates the four-momentum of an object to the four-acceleration. By manipulating this equation and considering the effects of time dilation and length contraction, the four-force matrix can be derived.

3. What is the significance of exploring 4-forces in special relativity?

Exploring 4-forces in special relativity allows us to better understand the behavior of objects moving at relativistic speeds. This is important in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics, where objects can reach speeds close to the speed of light.

4. How does the Minkowski force matrix differ from other force equations?

The Minkowski force matrix takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in classical force equations. It also uses four-dimensional vectors instead of the traditional three-dimensional vectors.

5. Can the Minkowski force matrix be applied to objects moving at any speed?

Yes, the Minkowski force matrix can be applied to objects moving at any speed, but it is most useful for objects moving at relativistic speeds. At slower speeds, the effects of special relativity are negligible and traditional force equations can be used instead.