Deriving a value for Full Width Half Maximum

In summary: Solving for $\omega$ gives us:$$\omega = \sqrt{\omega_0^2 - \frac{\gamma^2}{2}}$$To find the FWHM, we need to find the value of $\omega$ at half of the maximum value of the response function. This is given by:$$|R(\omega)|^2 = \frac{1}{2}|R(\omega_{FWHM})|^2$$Substituting our previous result for $\omega$, we get:$$\frac{1}{2}\frac{f_0^2}{(\omega_0^2 -\omega_{FWHM}^2)^2 + \gamma^2 \omega_{
Emspak

Homework Statement

In a damped harmonic oscillator, show that [itex]|R(\omega)|^2 = \gamma[/itex] at full width half maximum.

2. My attempt at a solution

This is another one of those questions that I feel like I am almost there, but not quite, and it's the math that gets me. But here goes:

For a driven damped harmonic oscillator, show that the full width at half maximum of the response function [itex]| R(\omega)|^2[/itex] is [itex]\gamma[/itex]. Where [itex]\gamma [/itex] is the damping factor. So we start off with: $$\ddot x + \gamma \dot x + \omega_0x = \frac{F_{ext}(t)}{m} = f(t)$$

And I move to solve this. I know that the solution will be [itex]x_0 e^{i\omega t}[/itex] and that I should get the following:
$$-\omega^2 x_0 e^{i\omega t} + (i\omega)x_0 e^{i\omega t}\gamma+ \omega_0^2x_0e^{i\omega t} = \frac{F_0 e^{i\omega t}}{m}$$
which turns into $$x_0 (\omega_0^2 -\omega^2 + (i\omega) \gamma ) = \frac{F_0}{m}= f_0$$ which then becomes $$x_0 = \frac{f_0}{\omega_0^2 -\omega^2 + (i\omega) \gamma }$$
The denominator should give me the response function $R(\omega)$. So I take the absolute value and square it and I get: $$|R(\omega^2)| = \frac{f_0}{\omega_0^2 -\omega^2 t + (i\omega) \gamma } \frac{f_0}{\omega_0^2 -\omega^2 t - (i\omega) \gamma } = \frac{f_0}{(\omega_0^2 -\omega^2)^2 + \gamma^2 \omega^2 }$$

So far so good. I want to find the maximum of this function and that means I want to know where the derivative of the denominator is zero. Taking that derivative: $$\frac{d}{d\omega}(\omega_0^2 -\omega^2)^2 + \gamma^2 \omega^2) = 2((\omega_0^2 -\omega^2)(2\omega) + 2\gamma^2 \omega = 0$$ and since it = 0 we can divide thru by [itex]2\omega[/itex] and we are left with $$-2(\omega_0^2 - \omega^2) + \gamma^2 = 0$$ and solving for [itex]\omega[/itex]: [itex]\omega = \sqrt{\omega_0^2 - \frac{\gamma^2}{2}} [/itex]. We will replace [itex]\gamma[/itex] with [itex]2\beta[/itex], leaving us [itex]\omega = \sqrt{\omega_0^2 - 2 \beta^2} [/itex]

we know where the maximum is, but now we want to find the half-maximum. Plugging my [itex]\omega[/itex] back into my [itex]|R(\omega)|^2[/itex] expression, I have $$\frac{1}{(\omega_0^2 - \omega_0^2 + 2 \beta^2)^2 + 4\beta^4 (\omega_0^2 - 2\beta^2)}=\frac{1}{(2 \beta^2)^2 + 4\beta^4 (\omega_0^2 - 2\beta^2)}=\frac{1}{4 \beta^4 + 4\beta^2 \omega_0^2 - 8\beta^6}$$

which shows me the maximum of [itex]|R(\omega)|^2[/itex]. At 1/2 that is the half maximum and I want to know what [itex]\omega[/itex] is at that point. So going back to my original equation I posit: $$|R(\omega^2)| = \frac{1}{(\omega_0^2 -\omega^2)^2 + 4\beta^2 \omega^2 }=\frac{1}{8 \beta^4 + 8\beta^2 \omega_0^2 - 16\beta^6}$$

But at this point I feel I have lost the plot. Going through this the whole thing struck me as more complicated than it needs to be. My text says showing this should be "an easy exercise." So I am turning to people here to see where I messed up.

Best to you all, and thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The attempt at a solutionFor a driven damped harmonic oscillator, the equation of motion is given by:$$\ddot x + \gamma \dot x + \omega_0^2x = \frac{F_{ext}(t)}{m} = f(t)$$The solution of this equation can be written as $x(t) = x_0 e^{i\omega t}$ where $\omega$ is the angular frequency. Substituting this into the equation of motion, we get:$$-\omega^2 x_0 e^{i\omega t} + (i\omega)x_0 e^{i\omega t}\gamma+ \omega_0^2x_0e^{i\omega t} = \frac{F_0 e^{i\omega t}}{m}$$ Rearranging this, we get:$$x_0 (\omega_0^2 -\omega^2 + (i\omega) \gamma ) = \frac{F_0}{m}= f_0$$ which yields the response function:$$R(\omega) = \frac{f_0}{\omega_0^2 -\omega^2 + (i\omega) \gamma }$$ Taking the absolute value and squaring this equation gives us:$$|R(\omega)|^2 = \frac{f_0^2}{(\omega_0^2 -\omega^2)^2 + \gamma^2 \omega^2 }$$Now we need to find the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the response function. To do this, we set the derivative of the above equation to zero in order to find the maximum. Taking the derivative with respect to $\omega$ yields:$$\frac{d}{d\omega}(\omega_0^2 -\omega^2)^2 + \gamma^2 \omega^2) = 2((\omega_0^2 -\omega^2)(2\omega) + 2\gamma^2 \omega

Related to Deriving a value for Full Width Half Maximum

1. What does Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) represent?

Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) is a measure of the width of a peak in a graph at half of its maximum height. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to quantify the width of spectral lines or other data peaks.

2. How is FWHM calculated?

FWHM is calculated by finding the half-maximum points of a peak and measuring the distance between them. This distance is then multiplied by 2 to get the full width of the peak.

3. Why is FWHM important in scientific research?

FWHM is important because it can provide information about the properties of a substance or system. It can be used to determine the resolution of instruments, the width of energy levels, and the stability of a system, among other things.

4. How can FWHM values be affected by experimental conditions?

The FWHM value can be affected by various experimental conditions such as temperature, pressure, and instrument calibration. Changes in these conditions can alter the peak shape and width, thus affecting the FWHM value.

5. Can FWHM be used to compare different data peaks?

Yes, FWHM can be used to compare data peaks as it provides a standardized measure of peak width. This allows for easier comparison and analysis of different peaks in a graph or spectrum. However, it is important to note that FWHM should only be compared for peaks with similar shapes and heights.