Deriving a Vector Expression from Given Direction

In summary, the conversation is about finding a vector expression and representation for a given direction in order to solve for the directional derivative of a scalar function. The person is seeking help and guidance on how to do this.
Drain Brain
How can you derive an expression from the given direction defined by dx=2dy=-2dz. This is just a part of a problem that I'am solving. I have no idea how to get a vector expression using the given info. please help. Thanks!

by the way I'm trying to find the directional derivative of a certain scalar function in the direction given above. By I don't know how to get a vector representayion of the given direction. Please help me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is that possible? use derivative.

What? I Know that I would use partial derivative here. But what I need help with is finding the vector representation of the given direction. Please anybody knows how to do it tell me. Thanks.!

Hey guys, do you have any idea on how to do this? I want to know it so badly. Please give me an insight.

FAQ: Deriving a Vector Expression from Given Direction

What is a vector expression?

A vector expression is a mathematical representation of a vector in terms of its components or coordinates. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the magnitude and direction of a physical quantity.

Why do we use vector expressions?

Vector expressions allow us to easily manipulate and perform calculations with vectors. They also provide a concise and precise way to describe the properties of a vector, such as its magnitude and direction.

How do you find a vector expression?

To find a vector expression, you need to know the coordinates or components of the vector. You can then write the vector as a combination of its components, using appropriate mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

What are some common vector expressions?

Some common vector expressions include position vectors, velocity vectors, and force vectors. These are often used in physics to describe the movement and forces acting on objects.

Is a vector expression the same as a vector?

No, a vector expression is a mathematical representation of a vector, while a vector is a physical quantity with both magnitude and direction. A vector expression is used to describe a vector, but it is not the same as the vector itself.