Deriving an expression for the energy required to separate charges

In summary, the conversation was about verifying the correctness of a derivation and insight. The equations used were for finding the change in potential energy and for Coulomb's force law. After integrating both sides and applying the factoring Coulomb's force law, the result was found to be correct. The topic of (c) was also briefly mentioned.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, would just too make sure my derivation and insight to why is correct.
Question: a) only

upload_2017-2-27_18-8-0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$dU=-wd_{ext}$$
$$dU=-F_{ext} \cdot dx$$
Now as the ##F_{ext}## is in the same direction and the direction vector { have not figured how to put direction vector in} then the equation becomes ##dU=-Fdx## this assume the direction is along the x-axis
So now if I intergrate both sides ##\int_{U(a)}^{U\infty}dU=-\int_{a}^{\infty}Fdx##

Subbing in a factoring columbs force law I get:

$$U(\infty)-U(a)=-kq_1q_2[-\frac{1}{x}]_a^\infty$$

Now U infity is zero because there is no force acting on it anymore and so I am left with##-U(a)## on the LHS on the RHS I am left with ##-kq_1q_2\frac{1}{a}##
thus the two negative cancel and I am left with the electric poteinal energy. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your answer has a positive sign, it is correct.Beyond the scope of your homework problem: (c) has a very interesting story. The naive way to improve the estimate leads to something that is not well-defined in mathematics, and you have to be careful how to do it properly to get the correct result.

Related to Deriving an expression for the energy required to separate charges

1. What is the purpose of deriving an expression for the energy required to separate charges?

The purpose of deriving an expression for the energy required to separate charges is to understand the relationship between the amount of energy needed to separate two charges and the distance between them. This can help in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the forces between charged particles.

2. How is the energy required to separate charges related to the distance between them?

The energy required to separate charges is directly proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the amount of energy needed to separate them also increases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

3. What is the mathematical expression for the energy required to separate charges?

The mathematical expression for the energy required to separate charges is E = kq1q2/r, where E is the energy in joules, k is the Coulomb constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges in coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

4. Can the expression for energy required to separate charges be used for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, the expression for energy required to separate charges can be used for any type of charge distribution, as long as the charges are fixed and separated by a distance. This includes point charges, line charges, and surface charges.

5. How is the expression for energy required to separate charges derived?

The expression for energy required to separate charges is derived using the principles of electrostatics and the definition of work. The process involves setting up an integral to calculate the work done by an external force to bring two charges from an infinite distance to a certain distance apart. This integral is then solved to obtain the final expression for energy.