Deriving an Thermodynamic Equation of State

In summary, the student is asking for help deriving the equation \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T}=T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V}-p using the given equations \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial p}\right)_{T}=-T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{p}+V . The expert advises the student to try the derivation themselves and offers to help where they get stuck. The student later finds the solution on their own and expresses gratitude.
Duy028

Homework Statement

Derive the following:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T}=T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_{V}-p[/tex]

Homework Equations

Use the partner equation:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial p}\right)_{T}=-T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{p}+V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help finding the derivation. All the links I've searched for so far lead me to other derivations that use these equations to derive other ones. Obviously, it's hard to google things with partial derivatives in it. Any help would be useful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Duy028, welcome to PF!:smile:

Duy028 said:
I just need help finding the derivation. All the links I've searched for so far lead me to other derivations that use these equations to derive other ones. Obviously, it's hard to google things with partial derivatives in it. Any help would be useful. Thanks!

We don't do your homework for you here, and we don't post links to solutions for your homework either.

Try the derivation yourself, and we'll help you through it where you get stuck. As a starting point, how is [itex]U[/itex] defined (1st Law)? How is [itex]H[/itex] defined?

Thanks anyways, but I slept on it and woke up having a clearer mind and found the solution. I'll be sure to be back if I have other problems and will remember to post my attempts.

Related to Deriving an Thermodynamic Equation of State

1. What is an equation of state?

An equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a substance in terms of its physical properties, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. It is used to predict the state of a substance under different conditions.

2. What is the importance of deriving a thermodynamic equation of state?

Deriving a thermodynamic equation of state is important because it allows us to understand and predict how a substance will behave under different conditions. This is crucial for many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing efficient engines or predicting the behavior of gases in different environments.

3. How is a thermodynamic equation of state derived?

A thermodynamic equation of state is derived by combining the fundamental laws of thermodynamics, such as the ideal gas law and the first and second laws of thermodynamics. This process involves making certain assumptions and simplifications based on the properties of the substance being studied.

4. What are the limitations of a thermodynamic equation of state?

While a thermodynamic equation of state can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a substance, it is not applicable to all substances and conditions. It may not accurately describe the behavior of complex or non-ideal substances, and it may break down at extreme temperatures or pressures.

5. How is a thermodynamic equation of state used in practical applications?

A thermodynamic equation of state is used in many practical applications, such as designing industrial processes, predicting the behavior of gases in engines, and understanding the properties of materials. It is also used in theoretical studies to model and simulate the behavior of substances under different conditions.