Deriving Arctan(z) formula using series.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of establishing the identity arctan(z) = \frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz}) by using the power series of log(1+iz) and log(1-iz). The speaker has found the power series for both of these functions as well as arctan(z), but is having trouble simplifying the resulting sum to match the expected form. They mention trying to differentiate both sums n times and show that they are equal at z=0, but this approach becomes very messy. Another person suggests a simpler method of showing that the derivatives of both sides are identical, which would prove the equality. However, the speaker is constrained by the
jrp131191
Hi, I am still trying to learn latex so this might fail but anyway, I am trying to establish the identity

[itex]arctan(z) = \frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz})[/itex]

By using the power series of

[itex]log(1+iz)[/itex] and [itex]log(1-iz)[/itex]

I have found the power series for both of these functions as well as arctan(z)

[itex]arctan(z) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n(z^(2n+1))}{2n+1} \Big) [/itex]
[itex]log(1+iz) = -\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^(n+1)((iz)^(n+1))}{n_1} \Big) [/itex]
[itex]log(1-iz) = -\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^(n+1)((-iz)^(n+1))}{n_1} \Big) [/itex]

I then computed

[itex]\frac{1}{2i}(log(1+iz)-log(1-iz))[/itex]

I get a sum which doesn't really look anything like that expected. I have tried simplifying but still can't deduce that they are equal. I thought I could perhaps differentiate both sums n times and show that these are equal but that also gets very very messy.. can somebody point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
jrp131191 said:
Hi, I am still trying to learn latex so this might fail but anyway, I am trying to establish the identity

[itex]arctan(z) = \frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz})[/itex]

By using the power series of

[itex]log(1+iz)[/itex] and [itex]log(1-iz)[/itex]

I have found the power series for both of these functions as well as arctan(z)

[itex]arctan(z) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n(z^(2n+1))}{2n+1} \Big) [/itex]
[itex]log(1+iz) = -\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^(n+1)((iz)^(n+1))}{n_1} \Big) [/itex]
[itex]log(1-iz) = -\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^(n+1)((-iz)^(n+1))}{n_1} \Big) [/itex]

I then computed

[itex]\frac{1}{2i}(log(1+iz)-log(1-iz))[/itex]

I get a sum which doesn't really look anything like that expected. I have tried simplifying but still can't deduce that they are equal. I thought I could perhaps differentiate both sums n times and show that these are equal but that also gets very very messy.. can somebody point me in the right direction?

Do you have to use series? Because you can as well show that the derivatives in both sides of the equality you're

trying to prove are identical (after determining the branch of the complex logarithm, say with argument equal to zero for

positive reals), and since both sides equal zero when [itex]\,z=0\,[/itex] you're done.

DonAntonio

I should not have posted this question here, I am trying to move it at the moment because it is homework.

But yes I am asked to use series. I know how to derive it using the exponentials of sin & cos.

I read that if I can show that for some c in U in which both my 2 series I am comparing are defined in U, that [itex]f^n (c)=g^n (c) for all n, then f(z)=g(z)[/itex], is this what you're saying? that they are hopefully equal at [itex]z=0[/itex]

jrp131191 said:
I should not have posted this question here, I am trying to move it at the moment because it is homework.

But yes I am asked to use series. I know how to derive it using the exponentials of sin & cos.

I read that if I can show that for some c in U in which both my 2 series I am comparing are defined in U, that [itex]f^n (c)=g^n (c) for all n, then f(z)=g(z)[/itex], is this what you're saying? that they are hopefully equal at [itex]z=0[/itex]

No, what I am saying is way simpler and basic. If two functions [itex]\,f,g\,[/itex] derivable in some open interval (or some open ball in complex plane) I are s.t.

$$f'(x)=g'(x)\,\,,\,\,\forall\,x\in I$$

then [itex]\,\forall \,x\in I\,\,,\,\,f(x)=g(x)+C\,\,,\,C=\,\text{a constant}[/itex]

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
No, what I am saying is way simpler and basic. If two functions [itex]\,f,g\,[/itex] derivable in some open interval (or some open ball in complex plane) I are s.t.

$$f'(x)=g'(x)\,\,,\,\,\forall\,x\in I$$

then [itex]\,\forall \,x\in I\,\,,\,\,f(x)=g(x)+C\,\,,\,C=\,\text{a constant}[/itex]

DonAntonio

Okay thanks, I do understand that but like I said, even as they are, I can't manipulate my two series to look identical already, so even if I differentiate them I will just end up with the same problem.. :(

Ok this will take me a while but I will show my working and what I CAN deduce..

[itex]\frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz}) = \frac{1}{2i}(\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(iz)^{n+1}}{n+1} \Big) + \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(-iz)^{n+1}}{n+1} \Big)) [/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz}) = \frac{1}{2i}\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n+1}((-iz)^{n+1}-(iz)^{n+1}}{n+1} \Big) [/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz}) = \frac{1}{2i}\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(iz)^{n+1}((-1)^{n+1}-1)}{n+1} \Big) [/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz}) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n+1}i^{n}z^{n+1}((-1)^{n+1}-1}{2(n+1)} \Big) [/itex]

And from this point on I am completely screwed, the power series for [itex]arctan(z)[/itex] doesn't even contain an [itex]i[/itex] and that is only the start of my problems...

Last edited:
jrp131191 said:
Okay thanks, I do understand that but like I said, even as they are, I can't manipulate my two series to look identical already, so even if I differentiate them I will just end up with the same problem.. :(

Don't you know the derivatives of the functions arctangent z , log z and/or the chain rule?! I guess you

surely didn't mean this as then how could you work with power series...?

$$(\arctan z)'=\frac{1}{1+z^2}$$

$$\left[\frac{1}{2i}\log\left(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz}\right)\right]'=\frac{1}{2i}\frac{1-iz}{1+iz}\frac{2i}{(1-iz)^2}=\frac{1}{(1+iz)(1-iz)}=\frac{1}{1+z^2}$$

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Don't you know the derivatives of the functions arctangent z , log z and/or the chain rule?! I guess you

$$\left[\frac{1}{2i}\log\left(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz}\right)\right]'=\frac{1}{2i}\frac{1-iz}{1+iz}\frac{2i}{(1-iz)^2}=\frac{1}{(1+iz)(1-iz)}=\frac{1}{1+z^2}$$

DonAntonio

Oh no I do sorry, I think I misinterpreted what you were saying. My only problem is that the question explicitly tells me to obtain the power series for the logs about z=0 and use them to establish the identity. I will stare at what you wrote for a while and see if I can put that to use using the questions "criteria".

Ok yes, If I write the (1/2i)Log((1+iz)/(1-iz)) in terms of the power series and differentiate termwise, I should be able to get to the required answer, I'll give it a go!

DonAntonio said:

DonAntonio

Still ending up with two series that I cannot show are equal. I completely understand everything you have said but the only problem is that I need to use the power series of the logs!...

I just essentially tried what you said but instead of directly differentiating (1/2i)Log((1+iz)/(1-iz)) I wrote it as (1/2i)(log(1+iz)-log(1-iz)) and used the power series and differentiated term wise. I end up with an ugly series.

jrp131191 said:
Oh no I do sorry, I think I misinterpreted what you were saying. My only problem is that the question explicitly tells me to obtain the power series for the logs about z=0 and use them to establish the identity. I will stare at what you wrote for a while and see if I can put that to use using the questions "criteria".

Ok yes, If I write the (1/2i)Log((1+iz)/(1-iz)) in terms of the power series and differentiate termwise, I should be able to get to the required answer, I'll give it a go!

OK I FINALLY GOT IT, I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR 2 DAYS!

I essentially used your method which I did actually try in a much longer way yesterday. The problem was that my lecture notes say that you can manipulate

[itex]\frac{1}{1+z^2}[/itex]

Into

[itex]\frac{1}{1-(-z^2)}[/itex]

And thus

[itex]\frac{1}{1+z^2} = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty(-z^2)^n \Big) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty(-1)^{n}z^{2n} \Big)[/itex]

When according to wolframalpha this is in fact not true at all! and that

[itex]\frac{1}{1+z^2} = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{2}z^n((-i)^n+i^n)\Big)[/itex]

I hate my bloody lecturer.. What the hell is going on here? I was under the impression that this could be done, in fact I did it in my derivation for the power series of [itex]arctan(z)[/itex] and arrived at the correct answer, but using the simple

[itex]\Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty(-1)^{n}z^{2n} \Big)[/itex]

And equating it to the derivative of

[itex]\frac{1}{2i}log(\frac{1+iz}{1-iz})[/itex]

Doesn't seem to work at all.

Could somebody please explain what is going on? Can [itex]\frac{1}{1+z^2}[/itex] be manipulated in the aforementioned way or not? Why not?

Last edited:
It's just the sum of an infinite geometric series:
[tex]\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n[/tex]
Now let
[tex]x = -z^2[/tex]

For the rest of the problem, note that
[tex]\log \left( \frac{1+iz}{1-iz} \right) = \log(1+iz) - \log(1-iz)[/tex]
and apply the series
[tex]\log(1+x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{x^n}{n}[/tex]

I haven't worked it all out, but I think that approach should work.

FAQ: Deriving Arctan(z) formula using series.

1. What is the formula for arctan(z)?

The formula for arctan(z) using series is arctan(z) = z - z3/3 + z5/5 - z7/7 + ...

2. How is this formula derived using series?

This formula is derived by using the series expansion of the tangent function, which is tan(z) = z + z3/3 + 2z5/15 + ... We can then integrate both sides of the equation to get the series for arctan(z).

3. Why is this formula useful?

This formula is useful because it allows us to calculate the value of arctan(z) for any complex number, using only basic arithmetic operations. It is also helpful in solving problems in various branches of mathematics and physics.

4. Are there any limitations to this formula?

Yes, this formula is only valid for values of z where |z| < 1. Beyond this range, the series may not converge and the formula will not give accurate results.

5. Can this formula be used to calculate other inverse trigonometric functions?

Yes, similar series can be derived for other inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsin(z) and arccos(z). However, the series for arctan(z) is the most commonly used as it has a simpler form.