Deriving Bending of Light from Maxwell's Equations

In summary, the bending of light because of gravity can be derived from the Maxwell equations written in curved space time.
RedX
Can the bending of light because of gravity be derived from the Maxwell equations written in curved space time, i.e.,

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}}\partial_\mu(\sqrt{-g}F^{\mu\nu}})=0 [/tex]

In all the examples the bending of light is treated as a massless particle traveling on a light-like geodesic (if I understand the examples correctly) with no reference to the electromagnetic field at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to show that if light is assumed to be plane waves, then paths that are normal to the planes are null geodesics.

The plane wave ansatz is implemented by setting
[tex]F^{\mu\nu}=g^{\rho\mu}g^{\sigma\nu}(A_{\rho,\sigma}-A_{\sigma,\rho})[/tex]
with
[tex]A_\mu=\hat{A}_\mu e^{i\omega S}[/tex]

The rest of the derivation is rather long. See 'geometrical optics'.

I don't know if this has been done directly.

I think usually one shows there is a ray approximation to a solution of the Einstein-Maxwell equations, and these are null geodesics, and then lives with that.

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0108255
http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2004-9/

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you have a massless particle, say a graviton, which is a 2nd-ranked tensor, or a neutrino which is a spinor, then would the bending be exactly the same as for light which is a vector? I would add scalar particles but I'm unaware of any that are massless.

So somehow the mass=0 free solutions of the Dirac, the Maxwell, and spin-2 (is there a name for the spin 2 equation?) equations all have the same solutions?

Also, a quick question on gravitons. It seems to me that the graviton is a very special spin-2 particle. All spin 1/2 particles obey the same equation, the Dirac equation. All spin 0 particles obey the Klein-Gordan equation. But the action for the graviton [tex]g_{\mu\nu} [/tex] is:

[tex]S=\int d^4x\sqrt{-g}R [/tex]

where [tex]R=R(g_{\mu \nu}) [/tex] is the scalar curvature which is a function of the graviton field.

For a generic spin 2 field [tex]z_{\mu\nu} [/tex] that is not the graviton, the action is:

[tex]S=\int d^4x \sqrt{-g}R [/tex]

where R has the same form as the scalar curvature, but the [tex]g_{\mu\nu} [/tex]'s are replaced with [tex]z_{\mu\nu} [/tex]'s.

So it seems the EOM for the graviton and other spin 2 particles are different. Is this right?

Last edited:
Well, the classical graviton is a gravitational wave which should travel on null geodesics of the background spacetime.

For other spin 2 particles, I might try searching for bimetric theories http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2005-5/ . Lubos Motl had interesting comments on whether it was possible to have another massless spin 2 particle http://motls.blogspot.com/2008/07/bimetric-pseudoscience.html (as you probably know, ignore the rhetoric about "pseudoscience", he usually has good physics comments).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Deriving Bending of Light from Maxwell's Equations

1. How are Maxwell's Equations used to derive the bending of light?

The bending of light can be derived using Maxwell's Equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. These equations were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to the study of electromagnetism. By solving these equations, we can understand how light is affected by electric and magnetic fields, which ultimately leads to the phenomenon of light bending.

2. What is the significance of deriving the bending of light from Maxwell's Equations?

Deriving the bending of light from Maxwell's Equations is significant because it provides a theoretical framework for understanding how light behaves in the presence of electric and magnetic fields. This knowledge is essential for a wide range of applications, from designing optical devices to studying the behavior of light in the universe.

3. Is the bending of light a result of electric or magnetic fields?

The bending of light is a result of both electric and magnetic fields. According to Maxwell's Equations, changes in electric fields can produce magnetic fields and vice versa. Therefore, when light encounters an electric or magnetic field, it will experience a bending force due to the interaction between these fields.

4. How does the bending of light relate to the theory of relativity?

The bending of light is closely related to Einstein's theory of relativity. According to this theory, the speed of light is constant in all reference frames, and the bending of light can be explained by the warping of space and time caused by massive objects. This concept is known as gravitational lensing and has been confirmed through observations of light bending around massive objects in space.

5. Can the bending of light be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the bending of light can be observed in everyday life. One common example is the bending of light as it passes through a prism, which separates white light into its component colors. Another example is the mirage effect, where hot air near the ground bends light and creates an illusion of water on the road. The bending of light is also used in various optical devices, such as lenses and telescopes.